X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda is considering "Americanizing" their car line up

MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 1/31/05
    LOS ANGELES -- Despite 35 years of selling cars in the United States, Mazda Motor Corp. still has problems giving Americans what they want.

Mazda has designed its vehicles mostly with the similar Japan and Europe in mind. For example, Americans prefer bump absorption to a firmer, responsive ride.

To battle this problem, Mazda North American Operations restructured its development process to get vehicles in line with U.S. sensibilities.

The parent company appointed global r&d Vice President Shiro Yoshioka -- who oversaw the Miata, RX-8 and Mazda6 programs -- to research ways to make Mazdas more palatable to Americans. Robert Davis, senior vice president of marketing and product development at Mazda North American Operations, was relieved of U.S. marketing oversight to concentrate solely on product and quality.

Starting early

John Parker, executive vice president of Mazda Motor, says the U.S. product development group has been too far upstream to make major r&d contributions.

"We haven't had a deep understanding of North American consumers. Now we're looking at feature content, driving dynamics, how to set up the transmission for North American driving circumstances," Parker says.

Being out of touch with the United States seems like a rookie mistake for a company that splits its 800,000 global sales evenly among Japan, Europe and North America.

To be fair, Mazda developed much of its current product line when the company was under financial duress. That meant Mazda funneled r&d spending into making the Mazda3 and Mazda6 global cars, without looking at regional differences.

Mazda is only now embracing the idea that there are major differences in vehicle dynamics among markets, says Joe Bakaj, Mazda Motor senior managing executive officer for r&d.

Americans want less shift shock from automatic transmissions, even if it sacrifices power. They want less lane drift, even if that makes for a loose on-center feel from the steering wheel.

"The American driver doesn't want to float down the road, but he does want isolation from hard shocks from impact strips or rough tarmac," Bakaj says.

U.S. preferences

Some of the other dislikes include:

>>> Seat backs and cushions are too small for many Americans.
    >>> Cupholders are too small for Big Gulps and Starbucks grandes.
    >>> Climate control systems can't handle cold winters and hot summers.
    >>> Mazda has been late to the party with telematics connections for ****, Bluetooth, satellite radio and navigation systems.

Then there are problems with basic vehicle layout. The gearshift on the Tribute's steering column interferes with access to radio controls. While Japanese drivers like the MPV's windshield wiper controls on a single stalk, Americans like their rear-window wiper controls to be separate.

Bakaj said these changes would require technical measurements well beyond the scope of "seat-of-the-pants engineering."

Mazda's U.S. engineers will get assistance from parent Ford Motor Co. test centers in Michigan and Arizona.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Fat ass americans

Comment

OK, first off this really sounds fake. They are nit-picking every damn thing. Who gives a damn about the rear wiper control? Ohh yeah, that's right, Americans don't drive, they travel, so they need all of the retarded soft suspension and basic idiot controls. I've NEVER had a problem locating the rear wiper controls on a MPV and in STL the cold winters and hot summers are no problem for Mazda's climate control systems. During the summer I'd have to get in dark Mazdas with black leather seats and in the minute it would take me to get to the car wash the A/C was already blowing cold.
      The seats are fine except the fat Americans. Let them go elsewhere for cars, they don't need to put added wieght in a Miata or RX-8. If you're fat, get a car you can fit in and one that can support your wieght.

Personally I have only minor complaints on Mazda's current line, like how crappy the accessory "brushed alluminum" interior trim kit fits and why the Tribute isn't availible with a manual on the S model.

If Mazda gears towards fat Americans they will loose a good portion of thier Zoom Zoom image. Maybe they'll change thier marketing to some fat 12 year old eating 5 twinkies saying "Zoom...buuuuuurp...uhh....zoom".

You know, Ford can do whatever they want with the B-series, but damnit leave the good Mazdas alone. Haven't they done enough? They have 3 of thier own companies to play with.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I'm just glad I already have mine

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
          this kinda goes against their zoom-zoom policy... you can't have cushy cars and performance at the same time.... it just doesn't work... you can argue that a bimmer is comfortable, but the ride is actually still too stiff for those fat ass bitches out there.... hell even on mercedes it's like that (but not as bad)... it's called having feedback/being connected to the road... you take that away to get comfort... that's basically taking a sports car and castrating it
          That's what's nice about the European cars, for the most part they don't cater to us here, they just build the cars they want and if we want them too that's great. Americans are all about catering to the fat ass bitches.

Comment

screw fat bitches.... great if somethign like this is true i will lose respect for mazda.

give the yuppies what they want.... yeah... thats BS
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
              it's quite apparent that the writer was just off on a tangent bitching about japanese cars... how in the world can ONLY MPV (american) owners bitch about the wiper controls? if you think about it, OTHER japanese cars are setup that way... such as the toyota and honda vans... so are their SUVs as well as others such as mitsubishi and nissan
              Actually thinking it through, if I can remember correctly since I haven't been at work in 2 months, the 3 hatch and 6 hatch and wagon have thier wiper controls also on the stalk, which is where they should be.

The MPV is great. I have zero issues with it, it's powerful(I had one up to 105 on a dealer trade and I wasn't even trying), it handles very good(took said MPV through an S shaped exit ramp that had a recommended speed of 35 at 60 and it never even showed signs of typical van oversteer or horrible body roll), and everything about it looks nice and works great.

If anything, the writer missed the fact that the MPV's column shift lever covers the radio volume knob when in drive, a fact that's been brought up by others several years back. Ofcourse that's why there are volume controls on the steering wheel...

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by The article
                Then there are problems with basic vehicle layout. The gearshift on the Tribute's steering column interferes with access to radio controls.

Comment

Stupid fat americans and the gaymo autoweek crybaby writer (who owns stock in gm and ford apparently).

Give me a miata anyday over a fat-**** 250hp fwd torque steering land yacht.
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

You know I like America and all, wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but the people can be retarded . . .

Comment

thats what happens when you have everything....you bitch about everything!

who the **** cares about 1 writer in a weekly rag.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                        Originally Posted by The article
                        Then there are problems with basic vehicle layout. The gearshift on the Tribute's steering column interferes with access to radio controls.
                        O contrar! For the 2005 model, the Tribute's gear shift is located in the center console, however the MPV's is still on the column thus blocking, partially, the radio. So indeed, the article is still wrong.

Comment

mazda is known for its suspension..... making it soft will screw the whole concept. Whiney bastards need to shut up and leave a good thing as is
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

All manufacturers are making bigger/heavier cars these days even Mazda... look at an '80's 323 hatch next to an '05 Mazda 3 for example. I'm not a fan of new cars period, they're not making anything in my price range that I would buy... everything is too big and nanny-fied (ABS/traction control/etc).
                            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Hey guys, we over at Mazda6Club.com have heard about the "Americanization" of Mazda's cars for the future and are pretty upset over it. We decided to start a letter writing campaign. I'm sorry for cross posting this over many forums, but we want to let Mazda know how the customers truly feel. We have set up a template for you to use and edit as needed. We decided to go with snail mail as E-Mail can be looked over and deleted and a mass volume of snail mail seems the best way to get their attention. If you have not read the article, feel free to visit this web link to read it:

This is the template letter we at 6club have created and are spreading it in hope that others will help us with our petition (edit as needed):

[begin letter template]
                              February 3, 2005

Your Name
                              Your Address
                              City, State Zip

Shiro Yoshioka
                              Vice President, Global Research and Development
                              Mazda North American Operations
                              P.O. Box 19734
                              Irvine, CA 92623-9734

Dear Mr. Yoshioka:

I have read reports that Mazda is considering "Americanizing" its North American products. This concerns me, as I am an enthusiastic supporter of your current line of driver-oriented products. Altering the ride and drive characteristics to what are considered typical American tastes will destroy what we love about your cars.

I can understand that you are under pressure to increase North American sales. Once people experience the firm controlled ride and precise nimble handling that is the core Zoom Zoom of every Mazda, they become raving fans. Unfortunately, all too many car buyers never see all the wonderful things Mazda has to offer, as they have not seen advertising. More promotion would make people aware of the great cars you offer, get them in the driver's seat, and take one home.

I am asking that you keep the Zoom Zoom alive by continuing to produce and improve a line of driver-oriented automobiles.

Thank you,

Your Name
                              Owner: Car 1
                              Car 2
                              [end letter template]

Send to:

Mazda North American Operations
                              Attn: Shiro Yoshioka
                              P.O. Box 19734
                              Irvine, CA 92623-9734

If you do decide to do what many of us at 6club are doing and send this letter off, I truly thank you. We can only hope that Mazda hears what we have to say and listen. Thanks!

~Darby
                              Owner: 2004 Mazda 6 s

Comment

Working...
                              X