Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior swap tips

Hello everyone,

New guy here. I just got a '95 Protege DX passed down to me in good running condition but with an awful, stained interior. I decided to swap out the carpet and seats and found out some useful info, so I thought I'd share. I bought the parts from a '98 LX.

First, the LX has fold down rear seats, which are not as wide as the one-piece non-moveable seats in a '95 DX. Make sure you get the side trim pieces or else you will see metal. Also, make sure you take all of the brackets that allow the seat to move up and down.

Now, the front seats. The passenger seat bolts up no problem; you can use the seat track from the '98. But the driver's seat track on the '98 is a little different (that or the track was bent, which I doubt.) You need to take the track from the '95 and install it on the '98 seat. I found this out the hard way after dumping the old seats in the dumpster. Yep, I had to dumpster dive and get the old seat.

Also, the front seatbelt latches are differnent. The '98 seats have a wider opening, which I assume is meant for wider metal locks. I didn't want to go back to the junkyard to get the seatbelts from the '98, so I just took the seatbelt release off the '95 seats and put them on the '98 seats. Make sure you take the wire under the driver's seat as well.

Finally, I took the CD player from the '98 and it's a direct fit. I was a little worried that because the radio is in the top portion of the dash in the '98 that maybe the wiring would be different, but it's not. The old radio was a pain to get out, though.

So, there you go. Hope this helps some people.

Hey! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experiences. I am myself looking into getting a fold-down rear backrest to replace my dull DX one. Good info.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
      Hey! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experiences. I am myself looking into getting a fold-down rear backrest to replace my dull DX one. Good info.

No problem. I'm sure I will have many questions regarding this car, so I figured I might as well be helpful where I can.

There are two plastic trim pieces for the back seat that cover up the metal. They clip on with those plastic clips that always seem to break when you pry them off. There's also a plastic trim piece that runs along the top of the support beam/metal shelf(?). I left it at the junkyard, though. Oh well, you only notice it when the seats are folded down. Instead of seeing the plastic trim I will see the fugly green that's the color of my car.

BTW, for the seats, carpet, and CD player, I paid $275, and they pulled all the pieces for me. I think that's pretty good. I checked with another junkyard that had gray seats and carpet and they wanted $500! without a CD player!!

Comment

serdriver,

i've always been curious if the rear seats foldable backrest would be swapable, i guess that answers my questions.

if by chance you do this pls post it too. i want to know if we can swap the power mirrors, windows, and door locks to our DX. I am sure we can swap them but not sure if there is going to be some electrical mods.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
          serdriver,

i've always been curious if the rear seats foldable backrest would be swapable, i guess that answers my questions.

if by chance you do this pls post it too. i want to know if we can swap the power mirrors, windows, and door locks to our DX. I am sure we can swap them but not sure if there is going to be some electrical mods.
          Well, I'm not swapping in the power mirros, windows, or door locks. I didn't even swap the trunk release because the guy wanted $30 for the cable. I'm sure it's possible to swap those items, but trying to figure out the wiring, not mention having to buy the wiring and the differnt door panels and switches, it all seemed like too much work. Besides, power accessories are not crucial to me.

Comment

its just that i have a feeling that we MIGHT not need for any electrical mods cuz when i was taking my dash parts out for the instrument cluster i noticed that there are SOME sockets that are just idle. meaning the sockets are just there waiting for the switches.

$30 just for the cable or the whole thing? if its for the lever, cable, and mechanism then i think it is worth it. i know loganss has done this before and i think that it'll prove to be useful. i am currently looking for one myself.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
            Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Working...
            X