Water in the doors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in the doors!

I just got some new speakers and when I went to pull out the old one I found water in the doors, specificly on the speakers.

The stock speakers have some kind of hood on them which I think was in place to protect them from water. On that hood I found droplets of water. I think this may have caused the stock speakers to die prematurly. Im acctually sure of it as the stock stuff is paper cone.

I recently bought some alpines which are ppl so I figure it should hold up to water alot better then paper. But im still woried. Should I reuse the stock hood or will it be fine. Im looking into baffles but find it really hard to find a 6x8 baffle. Im thinking about just ordering the baffle now and installing the speakers whenever I get them it.

Does anyone else have water in there doors? I figure it was bound to happen like through the weather stripping. What did you guys do?

When i changed out my stockers i didnt notice any water in the door / on speakers
    Joe H
    2000 Chevy Impala
    3400 3.4 Liter V6
    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

At some point or another you will almost certainly get water in. If you can reuse the stock hood that's great, I'd say do it, but if not there shouldn't be any serious problem. I have never had anything break from it and I'm pretty sure I've read that it's not something to worry about. Talk to Blue LEDz though, he'll know more.

Comment

i've never had any problems. yeah water gets into doors, but it would take a TON of water to get into the VC of the speaker.

Comment

my 94 lx had this same problem.. but most of that problem was onset by turning my car into a tabogan, ramming into 6 to 8 inches of water at 35 mph. worn out door gaskets and a smashed up fender ultimately was the cause, but my speakers were DONE. think carefully when driving through puddles at high speeds unlike me

Comment

I just put a new set of Clarions in my doors and I re-used the hood thingamajiggys that were covering the stockers ...I think that they help improve sound quality as well as to protect from water penatration.
            '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
            Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

it won't effect the sound quality, but it will protect them from water.

Comment

Working...
              X