1998 Mazda Protege BP-T Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Mazda Protege BP-T Swap

My girlfriend has a 1998 Mazda Protege w/ the 1.5L and Auto tranny. Ive found a place to source a 1.8L BP-T complete with tranny (AWD i do believe), etc. Now Im not familiar with Mazdas motor and tranny "codes" as i call them. So since the tranny with the motor is AWD, what FWD car should i source a manual tranny from?? What else should i grab off of that car while i have the chance? Ive read quite a few posts about the swap and read that wiring is also a pain when performing this swap...any suggestions there?? Again im not familiar with Mazda, i drive an S14 SR20DET swapped S13 240SX, so i do know how to perform an engine swap and all that good stuff. I just need a little insight into something ive never dealt with before, in this case its a Mazda motor swap. Thanks in advance guys...hope to get a lot of good feedback from you!

Matt
    SHIFT_I wish....

27% tint all around | AE door sills | Indiglo guages | front and rear clears | FSTB | RSB | Teins on GR-2s | Frankencar Intake w/ K&N | Cattman Headers | Greddy EVO | Motostorm UDP | Zex wet kit 75hp-125hp | 18" Motegi MR7s in gunmetal w/ Nitto NT555s | and many, many more mods....

Matt, there are at least two people on this board who are running the GTX motor in a 2nd gen. They don't visit very often to talk about their cars, but there should be plenty of info about this particular swap. One was performed by Corksport (a company selling Mazda performance parts). The other was performed somewhere in Texas by PseudoR (a member of our community), and TheMAN himself took part in it (I think). A lot has been said about this swap, i.e. that it is impossible, too complicated, etc. While it may not be as straight forward as the alternatives, it is still very much doable, and I wish you good luck with it.

Here's a thread you might want to read while still considering the GTX swap in a 2nd gen: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2520

Welcome to our board, and like TheMAN said, don't be afraid to use the search button!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
      Matt, there are at least two people on this board who are running the GTX motor in a 2nd gen. They don't visit very often to talk about their cars, but there should be plenty of info about this particular swap. One was performed by Corksport (a company selling Mazda performance parts). The other was performed somewhere in Texas by PseudoR (a member of our community), and TheMAN himself took part in it (I think). A lot has been said about this swap, i.e. that it is impossible, too complicated, etc. While it may not be as straight forward as the alternatives, it is still very much doable, and I wish you good luck with it.

Here's a thread you might want to read while still considering the GTX swap in a 2nd gen: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2520

Welcome to our board, and like TheMAN said, don't be afraid to use the search button!
      Thanks a lot Intruder, i wont hesitate to search...im a member on quite a few sites just like this. I really appreciate your response, TheMAN could have kept that little bit to himself. I realize Im new here, but werent we all at one point?? anyway you were talking about more doable alternatives...not being familiar with Mazda i dont know any of them at all...which is y i looked here....Anyway...thanks again Intruder.
      Last edited by 2k1MaxGLE; 02-05-2005, 02:06 AM.
      SHIFT_I wish....

27% tint all around | AE door sills | Indiglo guages | front and rear clears | FSTB | RSB | Teins on GR-2s | Frankencar Intake w/ K&N | Cattman Headers | Greddy EVO | Motostorm UDP | Zex wet kit 75hp-125hp | 18" Motegi MR7s in gunmetal w/ Nitto NT555s | and many, many more mods....

Comment

Do read the FAQ. It says what choices you have as far as 2nd gens go. A link to it is in my signature.

Don't mind TheMAN. He's an invaluable source of Mazda/Protege info though a bit intolerant. Try to get him on your side.

Just a hint. Most 2nd genners dream of the BP swap. I'm doing one right now (here's the link: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5491). There's a lot more info about the BP swap, and you won't have trouble finding it by doing a few searches and reading the relevant topics.

Comment

I would be the girlfriend.........and all I can say is.... LOL...Matt, u know what I mean .....but, really, thanks Intruder for being so helpful.
          Last edited by mzdachik98; 02-05-2005, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X