Why cant you turbo an auto???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why cant you turbo an auto???

I know of many cars that come from the factory boosted and are automatic, so why is it no matter who i talk to about it they all say its not possible and or it would be a waste.

Who told you it's impossible? It's not, it's just that our automatic transmissions aren't necessarily the strongest, that is the limiting factor.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Certainly you can put a turbo on an auto, but you'd need to be smart about it.

Turbos, especially large ones, don't add much power until your RPMs are pretty high. And automatic transmissions tend to shift to a higher gear as your RPMs climb. Under heavy accelleration, it will stay in a lower gear or downshift, but it seems like most autos are biased toward shifting early.

Therefore, you'd want a turbo that spins up fast.

There's somebody where I work that has turbo automatic Volvo, and you really don't get much boost except with the throttle wide open.

Supercharges, which provide additional power across the entire RPM range, seem to be more common on automatic transmission cars...at least that's what I have noticed in my experience. I haven't done any kind of study of available models or anything sophistocated like that.
      '02 Black Protege5
      '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

eclipes and talons and lasers all have an automatic tranny turbo model. Who told you its not possible? THey are morons. I think there is even an automatic turbo supra. I rode in a 13second automatic DSM before. It was cool, to build boost the guy was powerbraking it at the lights. He also had a shift kit installed so the car redlined when he was going wide open throttle. I think he ran a Big 16g from Buschur Racing.
        Eat ****.

Comment

then a stupid question would be, why dont people simply "shift" there automatics manually so it holds till redline. I was talkin to the local honda shop (i mean that litaraly(sp) ) and they were talking about having to get some special torque converters and reinforcing my tranny or something like that.

Comment

I was thinkin about boostin my auto Pro and Ive heard its nowhere near impossible to do it. The only warning is to upgrade the tranny and internals. Its also best to get a smaller turbo like a t3 (I think?) or the t20; that way you can reach your top speeds quicker throughout your RPM range. Of course you won't have a lot of top end power, but me personally, I don't plan on being at top speed often.

I have a question about superchargers too. Does anyone know where to find one for the Protege? Everyone says its better for our cars, compared to Turbos, but I have yet to find one. Anyone have an idea as to where one can be found?

Comment

If you want a really small turbo, the IHI VJ-11 from the 1st Gen MX6's spool fast, I used to have one.
              03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

a good torque convertor would be a REALLY good idea.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

My mom has a turbocharged Volvo stationwagon with an automatic, and I could beat virtually every car in high school with it. It's just a matter of doing it right -- the factory built that turbo so it was specially tuned for her car.

Comment

wouldn't it just be a little bit of tinkering with the tranny or gear ratios?
                    up the RPM for the lower gears to shift? although this would cause some issues for economy with daily driving...

when i turn off my O/D and floor it.. my car will easily make it to 6250 rpm, which is where you'd get the most out of your turbo.

or if you feel handy, go to a junkyard and find a 5spd pro of the same year as yours and switch your tranny
                    (most yards will let you do a straight switch if you give them your auto tranny in place of the 5spd tranny/clutch)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Normaly I just hit the gas and the thing will go to red line, the only problem then is it won't shift up unless I let up on the gas a bit.
                      Last edited by zerocover; 10-20-2003, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Absolutely no problems with running a turbo set up on an auto. I have over 40K on my Protege 5 since installed. A tranny cooler is a good idea and changing your fluids regularily. Upgrading the tq convertor is also a good idea but not necessary. Not sure what kind of car you have but it is very easily done. If you are buying a kit make sure it will fit the auto as the tranny is significantly larger and may interfere with some of the piping.

Comment

In response to all the talk about Turbo Charged Volvos: Most Volvos now are turbo charged. My Volvo wagon is turbo charged and a 5 cylinder automatic as well.
                          2000 Protege ES
                          2000 Volvo XC

Comment

are there differant quilitys of torque convertors, from what ive read lol (on howthingswork.com) it seems like its really a "basic" component.

Comment

you can boost an auto, same as any othe rmotor...

its all in the tranny strenght/ecm limitations...

luckily my tranny (while still the GM hydramatic pos, 4t60e) does hold quite a bit more pwoer than i have stock, so i ahve room to build....also my stock ecm shifts at just before redline on WOT so my car would be easy to turbo

but if your spending that much money to make it fast...might as well see if Level10 or another tranny company has good upgrades for your trannies to keep them strong.
                              1996 Pontiac Grand Am

Comment

Working...
                              X