Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about the install of a new head unit in a 1st gen..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the install of a new head unit in a 1st gen..

I got the metra kit and everything to install my new din cd player, and it installed fine, the only problem there is nothing supporting the rear of the unit to keep it from bouncing around while driving.. Is there any way to secure the unit??
    (nevermind the dirty interior )
    Attached Files

92 Protege DX - Sold.
    91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
    95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
    96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
    90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
    98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

remove the .5 din off of bottom, and move the player to bottom, then install the .5 din on top.

I used the oem one, and cut the bottom din to half size, then put it on top.

That way the player rests on the plastic under behind the face plate.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

this is what caused my 400 dollar alpine headunit to skip incesently.. what i found out... the metal 'bump stop' in the rear of the radio opening had a rubber pad on it.. pulling that forward and tensioning the back of the radio into that helps stabilize the head unit.. only problem.. it makes the radio more prone to pop out of the dash if you don't screw your kit in.
      kevin

Comment

Yeah, IMO the dash kits suck for this vehicle. I had the same skipping problem so I flipped the kit upside down and it helped a little bit like 2 volume levels, but I still wasn't happy so I voided out the kit and cut some foam slid it in and put the HU on top. Yeah I know its just free floating but it stays in there and doesn't skip..
        The Car:
        2003 Mazda Protege 5
        - Injen Intake
        - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
        - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
        - More Goodies to come....
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        The System:
        Head: Pioneer DEH-P6000
        Components: Infinity Kappa 680.7CS
        Amp: Kenwood KAC-5203
        -
        Sub: RE Audio XXX 15"
        Box: Custom built 4.4cu. ft. Tuned to 27Hz
        Amp: HiFonics Brutus BXi 1606
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Okay. I put the spacer on the top and installed the cd player on the bottom, Only problem is it still leans down and puts the front at an angle. Does home depot sell some kind of cardboard or foam I could put under and on top of it?

Funny thing is, the spacer doesn't have anywhere to screw in on the top so I just duct taped it :D I paid 10 dollars for the kit and all I needed was that one piece xD

92 Protege DX - Sold.
          91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
          96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
          98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

I am sure that depot has something that could be used in there for padding.... just be careful that you dont wrap the cd player in something..... dont want it to overheat or anything.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Yeah i got to drive it earlier with the cd player on the bottom and it doesnt skip, so I just want some padding below it to make it sit straight

Despite what I've heard of jensen this player is turning out to be pretty awesome

92 Protege DX - Sold.
              91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
              96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
              98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Any way to secure this from sliding in and out of the hole? It doesn't skip or anything now but pushing buttons makes it slide around

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

That Jensen will give you problems soon enough. I don't remember what kit i got, but I remember I had to actually buy it under the table, because the shops around here wouldn't sell it to me retail. It had to be "build", and it holds my player (JVC KD-SH99) nice and secure, the only time it ever skips is if i take a corner like I'm on the track, and that is rare!

93' 5spd DX
                  R.I.P

Comment

I got this fixed a while back by using the stock CD player mounts, it's been installed since february 6th and since I used the railings a few weeks ago there have been no skips whatsoever.. if it breaks in 6 months then i'll buy something better, at the time I was flat broke

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                    91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                    96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                    98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

My insurance company sent me a scosche kit that worked fine, so they're out there.
                      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                      X