So im thinking about putting in a Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So im thinking about putting in a Sunroof

I went to the junkyard the other day and spotted a 2nd gen with a sunroof. I thought it would be pretty nice to ripp it out and install it on my protege. I took off my head liner today to see what kind of supports the roof has. It was basicly just one bar going down the center of the roof. Im going tomorrow to the junkyard to compare the roof frame diffreneces between my pro and the one in the yard. If they are very similiar i may be getting a sun roof : P

BTW im thinking it may be an easy install. I say this because our proteges were built to be cost effective so mazda didnt want to make a bunch of diffrent frames. They just made one frame with most of the holes already punched out. This is not to say that the hole for the sunroof will be there but i think maybe the supports and all will be there. This is just what i learned from my manual swap. All the mounts and holes for the clutch cylinder and pedal where already there!
    Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 02-08-2005, 09:52 PM.
    sigpic

It would be ok if you like sitting on wet seats....its not a support issue, You would have to have a pro install it, and even then they wont gaurantee it. Every aftermarket or "custom" job Ive seen has leaked.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Yea i hear about leaks all the time with them. I wonder if there are just retards putting them in or what. Ill see tomorrow at the junkyard if its possible to make it not leak free or not
      sigpic

Comment

There is this shop called Rush Hour here, those guys know their ****....and the only gaurantee they give you at the door is that it WILL LEAK.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

i've done a sunroof conversion (not with a protege) and so i am speaking from experience when i say this. if done patiently and a lot of thought it is VERY VERY possible for this to be leak proof.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
          Mods:
          DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
          http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

^^^the 1 out of 99 successful....remember if you do it and it leaks, you cant go back.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

any update?

Mods:
              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

Well, i've had one professionally installed, They had to move the interior light from the center to the front of the car above the rear-view mirror. It's nice to have. But for some reason it tends to squeak alot, so i always have to oil the hinges (probably cheap quality) but i've had it 2 years, and it doesn't no leak. Just make sure that you get a professional to install it and that they do a nice job. And don't forget that they will have to move your interior light and move the wires over.
                Good Luck

Comment

Cut the roof off of it, cut your roof off, weld the other one on, paint. I've never heard good stories about aftermarket sunrooves other wise I would have one.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

my friend just went out and cut hsi festiva roof 2 **** and put one in... it didnt leak lol

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      Cut the roof off of it, cut your roof off, weld the other one on, paint. I've never heard good stories about aftermarket sunrooves other wise I would have one.
                      are you talking about cutting the roof on the pillars? that is one possibility although i dont advice it because from what i've gathered it weakens the structure of your vehicle. you will hear more squeaks here and there because your car "flexes" more.

Mods:

Comment

No, cut the roof from inside the drip rails on the sides and between the front and rear windows.
                        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                          No, cut the roof from inside the drip rails on the sides and between the front and rear windows.
                          yup you could do that too.

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                          X