Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LX vs. ZX-2

Hmm, my first "fair" race of any sort.

I was coming home from school and noticed one of my friends in his ZX-2 behind me. At one of the intersections I go through, we both have to turn left, and there's 2 turn lanes. I take the left lane because the right one ends farther up the road, but he took the right one. I didn't think he'd try anything, but the light turned green and he jumped off the line. I got it together that he was racing and floored it in first around the corner peeling out the whole way, then did a 2nd gear scratch. At the time I did the 2nd gear scratch I was already ahead of him, and I held out 2nd and went to 3rd and I was like 6 or 7 car lengths ahead and I let off(70 in a 35 is not something I like doing), at which time he got behind me and appluded my victory.

So I'm 1/0 for the record.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Was the ZX2 auto or manual. I can't wait to finish breaking in my clutch and get some 2nd gear rubber myself.
    1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
    Plus new
    1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

I think it was an auto. Meh.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Eh, I drove a ZX2 5-speed and it didn't feel like much competition for my LX

Good race
        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Hey I had to start somewhere.

Comment

good job dood.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

the ZX2 motors can be competition you never know.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yup mostly because they have almost the same engine, my moms 1998 or 99' I don't remember has almost the same engine my lx has, my dads buddy who is a mechanic is the one who pointed it out, also mazda and for have something of the sort of the whole plymouth/dodge thing goin on.... 626 is like the probe of mazda but better (I freakin hate probes) and so on I forget how others match up.
                The Car:
                2003 Mazda Protege 5
                - Injen Intake
                - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
                - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
                - More Goodies to come....
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                The System:
                Head: Pioneer DEH-P6000
                Components: Infinity Kappa 680.7CS
                Amp: Kenwood KAC-5203
                -
                Sub: RE Audio XXX 15"
                Box: Custom built 4.4cu. ft. Tuned to 27Hz
                Amp: HiFonics Brutus BXi 1606
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

The ZX2 has the 2.0 Zetec motor... not the 1.8 BP DOHC They're really not that bad except for the whole asthetic thing... the ZX2 is an ugly motherf*cker IMHO
                  '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                  '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                  '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                  '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                  '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                  '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Raced a friend with a ZX2 in my LX when I had it. We both had a passenger. He had 17" rims, and intake/exhaust.

On the highway from about 40 we both went, and I started pulling on him the tinyest ammount at the 3rd-4th shift. Had maybe 3/4 car length on him.

Protege is bone stock. I think the rims slowed him down. He was always bragging about how quick it was... definately not
                    Dan
                    dreesemonkey

Comment

They feel quicker than they really are...The strength of the clutch, plus how loud the stock intake is, makes it feel like it revs really quick. I can scratch 2nd and 3rd gear in my moms 98 but outrun it in my 93 accord auto.
                      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrous
                        Yup mostly because they have almost the same engine, my moms 1998 or 99' I don't remember has almost the same engine my lx has, my dads buddy who is a mechanic is the one who pointed it out, also mazda and for have something of the sort of the whole plymouth/dodge thing goin on.... 626 is like the probe of mazda but better (I freakin hate probes) and so on I forget how others match up.
                        Proves that common knowlage doesn't reach everyone.
                        J/K

Yes, the Probe was actually manufactured by Mazda for Ford. Both 1st and 2nd gen Probes are identical to 1st and 2nd gen MX-6s, with the exception of the 3L V6 that was availible in the 1st gen Probe. The 2.2L Turbo Probe GTs were faster than the 3L V6, and many are faster than 2nd gen Probe GTs/MX-6 LSs.

My brother has a 1st gen MX-6 GT and had a 1st gen Probe GT too. I never cared for the Probe, it felt very heavy and sloshy. His MX-6 puts down like 220WHP and 255Ft. Lbs. Runs the 1/4 at 13.75@105mph, and can be driven daily(when it's not broken...).
                        We also have a '93 Probe GT with 206,000 miles that is still on the original clutch. Runs strong as ever.

The good thing about the Probe was that it was a hatch, so the practicality and hauling is a lot better than the MX-6.

Comment

The probe was manufactured by FORD. In Mexico I believe. For all intents and purposes it was designed by and used Mazda Parts, but they never shared the same assembly line.
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

On Probe door jams you can find the text "Manufactured by Mazda Motor Co. for Ford Motor Co.". I distinctly remember it from my brother's Probe, but I don't know about my dad's.

I didn't say where they were made, I just stated that they were made by Mazda. And truth be told, the drive trains are completely Mazda(with the exception of that 3L).

Comment

U guys say that the clutch on the ZX2 is its strong point? I strongly disagree. I have driven them and if anything they feel rather sloshy. I much rather have a stock clutch that comes with the BP motors. They feel stronger and more reliable.
                              94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
                              Spring Tech Springs
                              Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
                              Cone Filter
                              17" Rotas
                              More to Come......

Comment

Working...
                              X