need some opinions on a new setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some opinions on a new setup

well i used to have a set of 12" datyon dvc subs and a power acoustik A1800DB amp in a ebay box in my protege but i sold that and now i miss it , im looking at getting a setup again,, this time for my 323. last time i had the stock speakers , so i have already went and upgraded them, i have CDT CL-61A 6-1/2" Components for the front, and CL-6X 6-1/2" Full-Ranges for the rear., i have already bought bass blockers to hook up to the Full ranges and im leaning towards a Clarion APA250 amp for hte components ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2gszRaV...10&I=020APA250 ) ... now, i was thinking maybe going with dayton dvc's again but idk.. my budget for subs/amp is roughly 700 ... then i may either buy cheap ebay box or attempt to do one of my own does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Chad; 02-11-2005, 04:56 PM. Reason: w00t

save more money for a better enclosure, the enclosure should be matched to the drivers being used. While you were happy with the old setup, it could that much better with the proper enclosure. It's not hard at all to build one, you use the drivers specs to plot the formulas for the proper dimensions.

why bass blockers? that amp has variable crossovers built in... but why a 2ch? why not a 4ch and drive all 4?

You can NEVER have too much power

Comment

well i got the bass blockers because i didnt plan on amping the rears.. nad yeah i dont plan on buying an ebay box again i want 2 make my own,, idk if i should attempt fiberglass ( i have done some reading on it and i have been itchin 2 try) or if i should just stick with just a reg. mDF box

Comment

birch plywood isn't much more than MDF right now, at least in my area, so i'd go with that, since it is MUCH lighter. $700 is a very good budget for an amp and sub(s).

Comment

Isn't the density of MDF a lot of what helps with the box though?

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
            birch plywood isn't much more than MDF right now, at least in my area, so i'd go with that, since it is MUCH lighter. $700 is a very good budget for an amp and sub(s).

any thoughts on a setup?

Comment

i was going to sell this poor kid my box if he could manage to shoe horn that behemouth in there... i'm finalizing paper work on a new car.. so the sound system has to go somewhere. 15 inch phoenix gold TI15d, ported and tuneable? eh? this was the basic question that was raised.. would a ported 15 perform alright in a hatchback? or is that better left to vehicles with sealed trunks?
              kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                i was going to sell this poor kid my box if he could manage to shoe horn that behemouth in there... i'm finalizing paper work on a new car.. so the sound system has to go somewhere. 15 inch phoenix gold TI15d, ported and tuneable? eh? this was the basic question that was raised.. would a ported 15 perform alright in a hatchback? or is that better left to vehicles with sealed trunks?
                kevin

if it'll fit, i'd go for it. that's a sweet sub, and the enclosure is very overbuilt i'd probably just get some PVC cement and seal in the longest section to tune it to the lowest freq. the 15 would pound his brains out in a hatch as long as he doesn't crank the sub to the point that it causes port noise, it'll be perfect. and if i remember correctly, i designed the enclosure that even at full excursion the port velocity would be under 80 mph, which is well below the speed when port noise starts (about 125 mph).

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                  Isn't the density of MDF a lot of what helps with the box though?

most higher end home theater setups use baltic birch or other types of wood, besides MDF. each wood resonates differently, but that rarely becomes anything audible. typically we use MDF because it's cheap and the surface is already smooth, so it is easier to cover with carpet or paint. pine plywood is not a good choice for an enclosure because it splits apart and is too soft. the birch plywood actually holds a screw much better than MDF also.

Chad, i can think of a million setups. it's a matter of what size subs, how many subs, and price that you are willing to use that will determine the overall setup.

Comment

and besides.. with an internal voilume of 2.25 to 2.5 cubic feet, it'd really be hard to get two 12's to sound as loud as this sub (given the size of the hatch area and not ripping out the back seats). maybe a really good 12 might be in order (ie brahma).. that might be a little louder. i bought an 02 impala.. so i might just hold onto this puppy a little longer.. we'll have to see :p:

Comment

damn, if the impala can't fit that box, i don't know what will.

Comment

oh it will.. it's got a pretty sweet stock system.. some rear dash mounted amplifier and everything.. i'll have to look at it.. but i may go for something smaller.. ie a ported w3/w6 12.. still trying to figure it out.. i don't know how the trunk will hold up. needless to say.. this baby comes stock with a big ole' 102 amp alternator.. i'm pleasantly suprised thus far.. i'm just curious as to what it will really handle. i really don't know.. i have to be happy with making the car payments first.. selling some old stereo equipment next.. getting some rims and possibly tint for this baby.. then i'll be happy to move on to installing a bigger, better stereo.
                        kevin

Comment

you'll be rolling on 22's, being ghetto fabulous

Comment

well seeing that teh 323 alt is soo weak and there is no h/o alts for them unless you pay 400 to have one specially made... i will prolly just go with a single 10 or 12 and port it as kevin suggested to me.. anyone have any ideas of a 10 or 12 that will hit good ported with under 500 watts

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                              well seeing that teh 323 alt is soo weak and there is no h/o alts for them unless you pay 400 to have one specially made... i will prolly just go with a single 10 or 12 and port it as kevin suggested to me.. anyone have any ideas of a 10 or 12 that will hit good ported with under 500 watts

nearly 3k watts on a stock 63 amp alt. you'd be suprised what you can do with a small alt

Comment

Working...
                              X