Rear speakers necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear speakers necessary?

I am just about done installing Adire's Koda component set for the front of my 1st gen. I was wondering what I should put in the rear, if anything? Maybe just the Koda 6.5" midbass driver? I don't think that I need tweeters in the back to mess up the soundstage (but am not sure). Here is what my setup will be:

Koda 6.5" components in the front
    ??? in the rear
    12" Brahma in trunk
    Phoenix Gold Xenon X200.4 (200watts x 4)

With regards to the amp: If I get rear speakers, then I will get another amp for the Brahma (probably a X600.1 or X1200.1). If I don't get rear speakers then I will use two channels (400watts) from the X200.4 for the Brahma. Or, I might use my head unit to power the rears (Alpine CDA-9825), but I was thinking of shutting off its internal amps.

Note: There is almost never more than two people in the car...it's been over 5 years since anybody has sat in the back...

--Ferdi
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Just use rear speakers for rear fill, not really needed
    Joe H
    2000 Chevy Impala
    3400 3.4 Liter V6
    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

i wouldn't bother with them. but i would still get a bigger amp for that brahma and then bridge the 4 channel to the fronts. you'll have to high pass the kodas a little higher, so protect them from the increased power, but once you've got them properly adjusted, blend the sub to them for best sound.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
        i wouldn't bother with them. but i would still get a bigger amp for that brahma and then bridge the 4 channel to the fronts. you'll have to high pass the kodas a little higher, so protect them from the increased power, but once you've got them properly adjusted, blend the sub to them for best sound.
        So, I should give the front 400watts/ch...and I thought 200watts would be too much! Maybe I should have just bypassed the Koda XO and use the one built in the amp if I am going to use all 4 channels for the front?

--Ferdi
        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
        -----
        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          eh.. i still don't get that about you dude. your setup.. weren't you running 200 watts to 5 1/4 inch type-r components in your old protege? granted you had them fully equalized like a bastard (30 band eq), when you're setting your cross over point at 200 hz, doesn't that effectively drop out anything between say 80/90 hz.. all the way to 200hz? i mean.. there is ALOT of low to midrange sound information and detail within that small range.. not enough to miss a beat or miss a vocal.. but definately enough to make a difference? this was effectively my problem with my cdt-62 components, when i was looking at running them at 275 watts at 4 ohms.. the sound was crisp and somehow cleaner, i did lose the right to left tonal differentiation (sp), i didn't have to turn them up loud at all to get them to a comfortable listening volume, and the sub went well with such a setup. but i was only able to stand this configuration for a short while.. no matter how i equalized the sound, no matter where i could safely change the crossover points, no matter what volume music was played.. i was not able to make everything blend together as nicely as when i had my components crossed over at 125 hz. the sound was of course a little more distorted at a higher volume when i ran my components at 70 watts.. but for every day concert hall quality listening, i will never complain. different strokes for different folks though, right? i thought i'd never be happy with just listening to a pair of front speakers before.. but i tried something new and i can't understand as to why if you have a subwoofer.. why rear fill is essential. even my rear seat passengers didn't complain much.. if anything, it was more complaints about getting a constant back massage by a 15 inch subwoofer than not being able to hear the music clearly enough. experiment and adjust as needed is the best policy
          kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ftjandra
            So, I should give the front 400watts/ch...and I thought 200watts would be too much! Maybe I should have just bypassed the Koda XO and use the one built in the amp if I am going to use all 4 channels for the front?

--Ferdi

DO NOT USE THE X-OVER BUILT INTO THE AMP AS AN ACTIVE X-OVER.

you'd be better off getting a cheap basic active x-over, if you are looking into that. as for the power, you don't have to, or need to feed the speakers 400 watts. it's all about proper adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
              eh.. i still don't get that about you dude. your setup.. weren't you running 200 watts to 5 1/4 inch type-r components in your old protege? granted you had them fully equalized like a bastard (30 band eq), when you're setting your cross over point at 200 hz, doesn't that effectively drop out anything between say 80/90 hz.. all the way to 200hz? i mean.. there is ALOT of low to midrange sound information and detail within that small range.. not enough to miss a beat or miss a vocal.. but definately enough to make a difference?

100 watts going to each 5.25" driver, and 100 watts going to each tweeter. i never finished putting the 8's in the doors, which was going to cover the mid-bass freqs. suprisingly, the 5.25's did quite well for mid-bass when i had them high passed at 150 hz with all that power. course i did have a 30 band eq. they where also fully enclosed. but i'd have them damn near at full excursion quite a bit. i wanted the 8's so i didn't have to push them so hard.

Comment

Working...
              X