trying to convince someone about a turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to convince someone about a turbo

ok heres my problem, i want a turbo for my 2003 pro, but my dad doesnt agree with it. how do i convince him to let me do it, even though the car is only 1300 miles old? also i dunno which turbo is right - i want something that i can push on stock internals with as little extra work possible. any help would be greatly appreciated, thx

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
    www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Turbo Fever

Hello turbo, goodbye warranty!

02 DX Millenium Red
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Re: Turbo Fever

Originally posted by goldstar
      Hello turbo, goodbye warranty!

02 DX Millenium Red
      -exactly the arguement im going up against not sure how to counter it

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

Well it was hard for me just for the fact that its a turbo, you dont turbo a car so you can stay under the speed limit, its like a confession saying that you speed. Atleast thats how my parents looked at it.

The thing that REALLY helped me bealive it or not...sigh...i went and test drove a friggin SR-T with my dad, didnt know he knew how to drive a car hard. He loved it and finally understood why i need one, yes need.

Givem the money argument, youll stop buying all those little things for your car if you had a turbo under the hood, or or tell him that turbos increase gas millage and decrease engine wear......it could work

Comment

I would get an older car and turbo it instead. I just wouldn't want to mess up a new car, especially one that still has a warranty.

Otherwise, turbos are fun, they now come in a bolt-on kit for your car, if tuned correctly they will run 100,000mi+, etc.

Best first mod would be driving training. Find a local autocross, or go to one of the HPDE style events, like with NASA http://www.nasaproracing.com .

Work on upgrading your suspension first, too.
          (edit: well by your sig you might have already. I can't seem to visit your cardomain site)
          Last edited by charles; 10-09-2003, 11:40 AM.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

yeah the suspension is good for now, sorry this morning the cardomain page was down for some reason, but its up again now, i just checked it - but i havent taken any suspension pics yet

Comment

dude trying to convince your dad is going to be hard, my brother itzkcatz didnt even tell my dad he bought a turbo motor, lol he just went into the garage one day and was like wtf. lol i told him i was going to turbo my pro and he was like hell no its dumb, not that he had a choice, just trying to be the voice of reason, he kept saying front wheel drives should not be turbo, too much torque steer, your gonna kill yourself. soo good luck
              .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
              225.94wtq
              torque monster!!!!
              dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
              http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
              http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Go trade it in and buy a MSP :-)

Comment

Yea, I'm glad i don't have that sort of problem. I mean, if I were a parent, even if my son/daughter was a good driver, there is not really and practical reason for turboing a vehicle, unless it's like a deisel truck or something :p:
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

Tell him he can get the keys whenever he wants.
                    But if he crashes it he bought it
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

well for the record we came to an agreement to wait it out to see once i get closer to the warranty wearing off what i want to do, btw does anyone have ETs or dyno runs with any of their turbos so i can get an idea which one i should go with? just wonderin

Comment

Originally posted by bigwoo23
                        well for the record we came to an agreement to wait it out to see once i get closer to the warranty wearing off what i want to do, btw does anyone have ETs or dyno runs with any of their turbos so i can get an idea which one i should go with? just wonderin

Go to www.flyinprotege.com. They have a dynos on their Protege 5.

It's a great kit, reliable and is nice for staying stock-ish. It'll also give you an idea of what to expect.
                        "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                        2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

The HiBoost turbo P5 was running in the low or mid 14s I believe. The sedan should be a little bit quicker, it's a little less weight.

Here's there site, they have a dyno plot, but I can't find 1/4 times anywhere:

HiBoost committed to producing high-quality signal boosters for years, including vehicle cell booster and Home&Office signal booster, Enterprise Booster, etc. Choose HiBoost and Boost your signal anytime and anywhere.

I know they posted somewhere in the 14s back on pclub, but I refuse to go look and find it :p:

I think they were getting kinda close to high 13s, maybe???
                          Dan
                          dreesemonkey

Comment

Working...
                          X