Contemplations of a dangerous mind..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contemplations of a dangerous mind..

well.. with every new car, i find myself testing the inner barriers of my wallet and my installation competence to complete yet another menagerie of an install. however, i own a GM car.. where the radio is an integral part of the vehicle.. where i'm told uninstalling the stock head unit is highly dangerous (something with the air bags.. crutchfield warns of serious death or injury could result from tampering), i'm at a total loss for figuring out how to go about this install. ultimately.. i'm looking at

Alpine CDA-9833 head
    Type-r 6 1/2 components front (the newer design) OR some bostons
    type-r 6x9 coaxes or boston coaxes
    rockford 551x (70x4) 4 channel
    rockford 501bd (500x1 @ 2 ohm) mono block
    and either an elemental 12 from mike, continuing to use my 15 inch sub.. or dual or single 12 inch subs.. or dual 10 inch subs. i'm still trying to figure out what if anything is capable, but will most likely consist of a custom box for said woofer.

i loved the depth and the response of my 15... it took a while to get used to, but was definately worth the time and hassle. just kinda looking for something low hitting, but not extremely loud.
    so at anyrate.. i'm just blabbering at this point.. but what do ya'll think? any suggestions?
    kevin

use a line output converter along with a 30 band EQ. then you don't have to worry about changing out the HU.

as for the subs, the sound you desire can be achieved with a pair of 10's, a single 12, the 15 you have, or just about any other combination. i wouldn't drop down to a single 10, unless it is a really badass one, like a brahma

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      use a line output converter along with a 30 band EQ. then you don't have to worry about changing out the HU.
      Any suggestions on the EQ?

I've been looking for LOC's for my dad's car and I almost bought these last night. Dave Navone NE-8V Anything else I should consider? Or is this the best I can get?

Kevin, I thought you had a 9815. Don't you have it still? I'd advise you to keep it instead of buying a 9833. And what's newer about those type R's? Any idea if the same series of speakers but in coaxial form are worth the money? I dion't care about the imaging that much (I don't want the hassle of adding a tweeter to a pristine interior).

Comment

you can sometimes find older 30 band EQ's on e-bay. just about any one that is a few years old is a good one. or if you want to go digital, audio control has 2 nice pieces, one with active x-over, one without.

navone LOC's are great. the only ones better are the LC6 (i think that's the model) from audio control and the clean sweep from JL, but both are substantially more expensive.

Comment

I'm on a budget, so I'll stick to Navone.

Can you point me in the right directions with the EQ's? Brand name? Possibly a model too?

Comment

The JL Clean Sweep is a pretty nice little piece. But I think I would trust anything from Dave Navone.
            01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

phoenix gold, ppi, orion, audio control, and a bunch others. i'm pretty sure i had the EQ232 or EQ230 from PG. that one, or any that look the same as it from another brand where all made by the same company, and they are all great units to have.

Comment

no.. actually.. after the 7984 alpine i had.. i traded some gear with mike and got me a nice deh-9300.. full 13 band eq, auto equalizer.. the works. after about 4 short months of running that.. i bought a new car.. and with a new car.. comes new gear. i'm ditching the pg 15 and the box in hopes of finding a subwoofer with more throw.. the xmax of the pg ti15d i had was around the same you'd expect from a JL 15W0/15W3, just maybe not as well designed of a subwoofer. i'm thinking bigger, better, and definately badder.. and at that, i don't think i'd settle for much less than a 12 inch brahma or 2 12 inch type-r's. either that or a highly custom fit/carpeted box to fit snuggly into the impala's rear seat back. stealthy if i can make it so. and at that, i'd probably need some serious power to back it up. my 501bd is badass.. but not strong enough to carry the stead of what my heart's after. sadly enough.. it'll be about 3 months until i start to do some major purchasing because i need to swing some 17 inch rims first.. but in the mean time.. i'm going to search high and low for options. the first couple projects are going to involve ripping out the interior a little (especially in the trunk) and laying out a good 40 to 60 square feet of dynamat in the front doors, rear deck and trunk. then i have to figure out my headunit issue as far as getting an aftermarket and ditching the factory unit.. or dropping 3 LOC's in the car and building the system around that. with motivation as such, i would see it very easy to achieve an ultra stealth install.. so who knows. my mind keeps tickin.. but my wallet ain't got **** at the moment :p:.
                kevin

Comment

get 1 LOC and the audio control DQX. 30 band graphic EQ, 2 band parametric EQ, and 3 way x-over. 1 set of inputs and 3 sets of outputs. as for a sub, save up for the XMX from resonant engineering. over 45 mm one way x-max

Comment

And until you get up the loot for the Brahma or XMX or whatever high $$$ sub you go with, buy my ED 12k.44 for $50 shipped to use to hold you over.

Comment

Talk about WOW. I ordered my LOC yesterday, paid $5 for shipping, and it is here today! Compare and contrast Navone Engineering to Elemental Designs. woot.

Comment

damn, that is fast. the LOC and auto turn on i ordered took 2 or 3 days to get to me.

Comment

Well, I live about 60 miles away from their HQ.

Comment

Working...
                          X