Sound Deadening possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Deadening possibilities

In the McMaster-Carr catalog, there's a lot of sound deadening materials. Most of it would be ruined by water (such as melamine foam), but there are some things that would be alright... Hell, even the melamine foam would prolly be alright if you could keep water off of it.

A lot of people on the SPCR forums swear by the stuff McMaster sells. Of course, they're silencing computers, not cars....

Anyway, just throwing out ideas. A lot of the SPCR folks use AcoustiPack, which is hella expensive (lining a computer case with it would run about 90 bucks). It does have the benefit of a sound blocker AND a sound absorber combined, though.

Here's a page from the McMaster online catalog:

~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

that foam is way too thick. i'll stick to jute carpet padding or ensolite.

adheasive backed foams tend to suck in a car environment. there's a reason why dynamat extreme and the knock offs are so popular. they work for dampening and they work very well in an automotive environment.

Comment

flashband is a good alternative, the one used in sealing of cracks or holes on ceilings.

acoustifoams are also good. i used them both to deaden my front doors

www.cardomain.com/id/marlonthegreat

Comment

As long as were on the topic what do you guys think of peel and seal. Its a roof insulation thats dirt cheap and is supposed to work rather well.

Im mainly looking to stop rattles. Esp the spoiler/ something in the trunk rattle I dont even know any more. I was able to stop the rear deck rattle using carpet insulation, good stuff. But these new rattles are driving me crazy. I think a source might be the trunk springs, whatever there called.

Comment

in your trunk, the 'springs' you speak of, your torsion bars that hold the trunk open..they can rattle.. and in my protege they rattled like a bastard. wrapping the bars with dynamat seemed to work fine.. only trick is prying them apart enough to wrap them up. needless to say guys, you can use any materials (including building materials) to deaden sound waves in your car.. but then you're dealing with uproven materials that may deteriorate fast, materials that may impede your windows from going down properly or something that may prevent your door panels from fitting onto your doors. and some materials won't perform in the way you're intending them to. dynamat is great for deadening vibrations and fusing body panels together. acoustic foam may help bring your sound floor to a lower level.. but then you're dealing with being able to compress it behind panels, not to mention it's effectiveness is better utilized when left bare. so lets say in your trunk.. you put acoustic foam (egg crate materials), it's a very soft and pourous material.. so in effect, anything could tear it apart. i would still only recommend using synthetic fiberous carpet padding or dynamat knock offs. tar paper sealer (roofing water seal barrier) is not designed to deaden sound, it's meant to seal a surface from letting water getting through. enough rambling, good luck
          kevin

Comment

i've heard of good results from peel and seal, and i've heard of very bad ones as well. it's not consistant enough. i'd rather pay a little extra for raammat bxt or b-quiet ultimate which are both butyl based, so they stick best and have almost no odor.

Comment

Working...
            X