Portable Torches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Torches

Are there any Portable torches that can be purchased in places like Home Depot or Sears. I need one that get's hot , almost as hot as those official torches that the guys usually have at the shops. I need something to get a bolt so hot it turns red.
    Either this or have to take this rear assembly to the shop to get a bolt removed.
    Bruce
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

propane torches both a foot long cylinder

little buetain torches like 4 inches long

their both there in that pic

No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks, any idea (in degrees) how hot they get.
      bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I think these torches are pretty reliable. They would get hot enough to take off just about anyhing. Unless you are trying to get a bolt of exhaust manifold, then you might be out of luck. It really depends on the area of the bolt that is available so you can apply the heat, and also the material of the bolt. I have heard many stories about combinations of brass/steel nuts and bolts, and with those, you can only work when the parts are hot.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

in the back of your car, there are 2 bars that run from the center of the car to the hub, then there is a bolt that runs through those 2 bars and the hub. I need to heat that bolt up inorder to remove it.
          or
          I have to pull the entire rear frame down and then take the two bars out and then take the hub with the two bars to a shop and have them heat it and remove the bolt with a air gun...

ohh btw I am putting on rear discs..

I have noticed nothing with mazda is frigin easy..
          Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Ahh the lateral links.
            A propane torch won't get something like that Red hot, Unless you've got way too much patience. YOu should have an Oxy-Acetylene torch. A propane torch still mught work but you'll need some good penetrating oil too (not WD-40). "MOOVIT" and one other kind that I've used, but can't remember the name are good ****.
            A good breaker bar with a long assed pipe on the end of it will move anything.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

could you get a cutting disk in their? minigrinder?

i use "gunk" penitratating oil and it works awsome, and yea breaker bar with a pipe will move anything, or snap it off, either way you can get out that bolt
              No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Tonight I am going to finish pulling down the rear suspension.. I have to lower the rear Lateral link assembly, then take out the lateral links with the drum hub.

I will take it down to Hunts point on Saturday and let this guy use a torch and the air tools get the bolt out.
                I will just give him 20 bucks or something. I can't see getting that bolt out on my own.. I used a pipe and a 1/2" socket and wrench. end result. I broke the frigin bolt.. --priceless--
                I got the spare off the 1st gen protege that the guy took the discs off of .. That bolt really gets seized in there. I mean really seized.
                By Sunday I should have disc breaks. A friend in PA is sending me the ebrake cables off of her 1st gen LX that she is parting out...

Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                X