wiring in LEDs: HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring in LEDs: HELP

Hi. Newb here. This is for an 02 P5. I 'm installing a new head unit along with the controller for an MP3 player (two DIN faces into a double DIN hole) and I'm going to use perforated aluminum as a surround. I want to wire in some LEDs behind the aluminum so it will shine through the holes. How exactly do I go about doing this? Can I just wire into the power for the HU? If so, will that affect sound output? Appreciate any insight.
    I make things...
    Nice things.
    www.twobushdesigns.com

depends on the LED you get. I assume you are talking about the leds that you can get from radioshack right? Since your radio is fed off of a 12v source, you need to either get some resistors to bring the volts down to a lower level, or find some leds that run off of 12V.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
      depends on the LED you get. I assume you are talking about the leds that you can get from radioshack right? Since your radio is fed off of a 12v source, you need to either get some resistors to bring the volts down to a lower level, or find some leds that run off of 12V.
      Yeah, they are from Radio Shack. They also have built in resistors. How do I wire them in if I want them to come on only with the HU on?
      I make things...
      Nice things.
      www.twobushdesigns.com

Comment

some 12v LEDS come as "flashing" and "non-flashing" I assume you'd want the non-flashing, so make sure of that.

If you want them on at any time (with key ON) then connect them to switched or ignition power under the dash, NOT at the radio. It could cause noise in the sound system. You can also add a switch inline to control them at any time the key is ON.

If you want them on only when the radio is on, connect them to the amp turn on or remote turn on wire of the radio. Depending on the HU's output voltage and number of LEDs you are using, it may require a relay. If you are already using it for amps, then use a relay.

ground the LEDs to a seperate chassis ground.

Comment

Working...
        X