Rust in my engine bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in my engine bay?

hey guys, i was jus hoping for some input on what you guys would do...

say when i pull my engine out in a few months, i find a bunch of rust..
    what should i do?

like, should i just fix the spots?
    or should i send the chassis in to get the entire engine bay repaired and repainted black?
    or do it myself?

what would you guys do?

(im pretty sure there is rust, even tho the car is a 98... i spend a lot of time on the highway and salt seriously cakes on all over the place on my car in the winter
    the bottoms of my doors are all rusting already )

It really depends what the rust is on, and how deep it is. If it's just surface rust i'd sand it down and paint it with rustoleum (sp?)
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Yeah if its just surface rust, grind it down to bare metal and spray some type of rust inhibitor on it and paint your whole engine compartment.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

hmm, i was thinking that too
        repairing the rust and repainting the entire engine compartment

i've dont a lot of mechanical/electrical work on cars before, but never painted anything other than rooms in houses

what kind of prep is required before I actually put paint on?
        sand off all the rust, then rust inhibiting paint... then primer on the entire engine bay?
        or does it not need primer?

i could use automotive paint in spray cans....
        or would it be worth going thru the trouble getting a compressor and a spray gun... and then learning how to paint with a spray gun

also, i dont have place to paint so i'd have to do it outside....

OR

would it be best to do all the prep myself, and send it out to paint it
        this engine bay/rebuild/swap project is not something i wanna skimp on... cause im only doing it once

input?

Comment

what i might do is the same. removed the engine. prep the engine bay, sand primer, etc, put the car on a flatbed and get the engine bay painted in a shop. i'm guessing a $300 job.
          Almost there

jdm tails... check
          jdm bumper... check
          ms lip... check
          ms grill... check
          ms sideskirts... check
          ms rear skirts... check
          ms spoiler... check
          ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
          Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
            what i might do is the same. removed the engine. prep the engine bay, sand primer, etc, put the car on a flatbed and get the engine bay painted in a shop. i'm guessing a $300 job.
            what color?
            i was thinkin black...

didnt you already finish your BP swap?

Comment

no i haven't started. i'm still gathering parts. i want to do the swap non half-ass.lol i just got word from corksport that my mazdaspeed motor mounts finally arived. they should be here by 03/18. i'd rather just take care of all the odd's and ends in one shot, no ****in around if you know what i mean... tune-up, painting the engine bay, etc.

i have just about everything now. i even bought a spare 95 complete 1.5L harness, i'm going to modify that to keep the protege w/ as little down time as possible. i even got a 1.8L mazda valve cover chromed up too.

i'm thinking black too, or maybe even a charcoal grey. i like the blue paint that the 2gen protege's came with too.
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
              Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
                no i haven't started. i'm still gathering parts. i want to do the swap non half-ass.lol i just got word from corksport that my mazdaspeed motor mounts finally arived. they should be here by 03/18. i'd rather just take care of all the odd's and ends in one shot, no ****in around if you know what i mean... tune-up, painting the engine bay, etc.

i have just about everything now. i even bought a spare 95 complete 1.5L harness, i'm going to modify that to keep the protege w/ as little down time as possible. i even got a 1.8L mazda valve cover chromed up too.

i'm thinking black too, or maybe even a charcoal grey. i like the blue paint that the 2gen protege's came with too.
                wow, ya... we're actually both approaching this in a similar fashion
                i've had the engine for about 9 months, i've just been preparing exactly what needs to be done
                and making sure I have all parts on hand before i start...

my original goal was to have 1 week of the car being out of comission... however now that I may paint the engine bay, thats going to have to be extended by a few days

see, eventually my car is getting repainted... either the same color it is now, gunmetal grey, or black...

either way, i think a black engine bay would be best

do you have a webpage, or a car domain site... or anything with pics and info on your car?
                are you using a G25 or an F25 tranny?

Comment

Working...
                X