17" Wheels On 03 Protege LX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17" Wheels On 03 Protege LX?

If I get 17" wheels and tires put on my 03 Protege LX (which came with 15's) will the speed sensor still give accurate readings? The dealer told me I'd have to make sure the diameter of the tire doesn't change; so I guess he meant if I put 17" wheels on it that I'd have to get low-profile tires to maintain the same diameter I have now with my 15" tire.

If you guys can recommend a 17" wheel and tire that looks good with shimmering sand metallic (gold) paint, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

it depends on the tire size...if you go to a tire shop, they should be able to tell you what size tire you need with 17" wheels to stay within so much a percentage of accuracy. I have 16's with 205-55-16 and am within 3% accurate...just for example.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thanks. I used to the tire size calculator and determined that if I replace my 195/55/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE92 tires with 205/40/17 Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires I will only have a 0.1% margin of error on the speed sensor. So when I'm going 60mph my speedometer should still register 60mph. Now I just have to find the wheels I want. I have never shopped for wheels before, and I'm incredibly picky. I don't know what color wheels I want; whether I want them to be silver like the factory Mazda wheels or dark like the ones pictured above. I'd like to get the wheels and tires purchased from the same place and have that same place install them if I could.

Comment

if you have a Dobbs auto tire, they carry all types of wheels and tires pretty cheap.
          According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Also, www.tirerack.com, www.1010tires.com, www.discounttiredirect.com
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I want to get the 17"x7" Racing Hart 5-spoke wheel (Mazda part# 9965127070) that came on the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. However, they are really expensive if ordered from the Mazda dealer here; $279.99 each. I searched the websites you listed above but I can't find any place that sells that specific 17"x7" Racing Hart 5-spoke wheel. Am I gonna have to break down and spend $1210.00 on these wheels from my dealer or is there some place else I can go?

Comment

People frequently sell them on msprotege.com's For Sale section.

Rember, those wheels are 5x114.3 and your LX is 4x100. They won't fit unless you get the hubs/brakes from an ES/Pro5/MSP/MP3
                Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

What does 5x114.3 mean? The dealer said they could just replace my existing 15" wheels with the 17"x7" Racing Hart 5-spoke wheels; and that as long as I got a tire that maintained the same diamter (which is 23.5") everything should be fine.

Comment

5x114.3 is the lug pattern.

On 01+ models:
                    ES/MP3/MSP/Protege5 have a lug pattern of 5x114.3
                    DX, LX have a lug pattern of 4x100

The MSP wheels won't fit!
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

He means that your lug studs (the things the lugnuts bolt to) will not line up with the holes in the racing heart wheels.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Well gosh. Imma have to reconsider what I want now. I was looking at the pics on your webpage, and I really like the wheels and tires on your car. It looks like you've gotten darker wheels since these pics, but I really like the wheels you've got on this page. Since your car is the same color as mine, I know the wheels will look good. Could you help me out and tell me what brand and model wheel that is, along with the tire info too? Thank you so much for helping me.

Comment

They are Arospeed RS-11 wheels. 17x7", 42mm offset. Good luck finding them though, I think they've been discontinued unfortunately. However some guy emailed me asking me if I knew the centerbore of those, which I dont, but said that he just got a set. I'll ask him where he got them and I'll let you know.
                          Last edited by NegatiZE; 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Ok thanks. It looks like there's a lot I don't know about wheels. I thought it'd be as easy as making sure I bought the right diameter and width and not have to worry about anything else. Two more questions: What does 42offset and centerbore mean? heh

Comment

This may be helpful: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/wheeltech.jsp
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X