Strange 323 stereo plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange 323 stereo plugs

I have a new head unit for my 1988 Mazda 323, but the plugs the car has are not the ones it apparently should have, and hence I don't know which wire goes where.

As far as I can see my car should have wiring as in the second diagram here:

which would be these:

I think the stereo has been replaced on mine before though and maybe the wires were changed then. It has four different plugs as well as the aerial plug, as shown in here (sorry for the bad quality):

There's the big four-pin white one that it should have, but then a 9-pin one and a a smaller 4-pin one, with small female connectors. Then a separate black ground wire.

The stereo that was in there was only using the small 4-pin one and the ground (and the aerial). I have a diagram for how the 4-pin one is connected but that is all. I also have a diagram for all the wires of my new stereo.

Sorry for the long story, but does anyone know what's going on here? Does anyone know of a diagram where I can work out which wire should go to what? I can't find anything.

if you can look at the speaker wires at the speaker, you can usually match them up to the dash wires to figure out which are the speaker wires. then all you really need to find out is the constnat positive and switched positive. or you can just e-mail or call metra. they've got very good tech support.

Comment

Or just start pinching wires together until you find the right combination for each speaker

Comment

meh, get a 9v battery and find the spkr wires by trial and error.

when you hear the "pop" then you know you got the spkr wires.

Then use a volt meter to test for the constant and ignition only power sources like blue said.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          Then use a volt meter to test for the constant and ignition only power sources like blue said.
          Really those should be red and yellow wires no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
            Really those should be red and yellow wires no matter what.
            true unless someone ran different power wires in there before.... more than likely not though.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
            X