rear disc to drum (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear disc to drum (again)

okay I searched fro goldpro's thread but, couldn't find it, so i'm posting again. Shoot me.

So I'm seriously considering the rear drum to rear disc brake swap now. I've read through the faq, and I see a comprehensive guide to what parts I would need if I was going to import the parts from overseas or use a car with 4-lug, 4 wheel discs.

All the 4 wheel disc proteges in the states and canada were 5-lug correct?

So would this swap be feasable to swap 4 lug to 5 lug as well as rear drum to rear disc?

Also which specific parts would I need? can 5 lug spindles fit on 4 lug hubs? I'm looking through car parts in junk yards now and Trying to figure out what i would need to pull.

Most junk yards around here have everything already pulled, you can't just go and see what you like and pull it off.
    Visit My Garage

You need spindles and everything at least in back, basicly from the struts foward you need new.

I dont think you need a new master cylender or anything (it should still work), but you would definetly need a new proportioning valve.

Comment

IIRC you can use the rear brakes from an older car (1st or 2nd gen) that were still 4-lug

Comment

The older pros spindles and such wont fit the 3rd gens suspention.
        Mixing and matching stuff is never fun.

Comment

i'm pretty sure the 99-00 es pro's had rear disc brakes and they weren't switched over to 5 lug til 01.. i maybe wrong tho
          sigpic
          1987 Rx7 TurboII (Stripped and Crush R.I.P )
          1987 Rx7 Sport (Street port Rebuild almost done.)
          2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe w/ sports package

Comment

i thought so ill be from what i have been told the es's have drum as well.
            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!
            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by .Zero
              i'm pretty sure the 99-00 es pro's had rear disc brakes and they weren't switched over to 5 lug til 01.. i maybe wrong tho
              Nope, 3rd gens didn't get rear discs until 01 ES, Pro5, MP3
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

What I'd do is find an 01+ ES, or if you're lucky an MSP, grab EVERYTHING off each corner of the car.

Keep in mind you're gonna need new wheels too.
                Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

yeah i wanted to keep my 4 lug, dunno why, maybe i just want te least amount of work possible.
                  .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                  225.94wtq
                  torque monster!!!!
                  dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                  http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                  http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Same here. Get the ES rotors/calipers. I have em and they work perfectly.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I'm going to look into finiding one at a yard. I'll keep you posted.
                      Visit My Garage

Comment

Hello,

it possible to swap the drum to 4 lug disk

you can see the tread from canadian french forum

Il will translate for you

you need this list of part from P5:

spindles, calipers, laterals links, hand brake cable, brake line

from your car with drum you keep this list of part:

hubs with nuts and caps

you dosen't need to change the master cylinder or protion valve or booster.

the disk came from 323 jdm cost 65$ from mazda motorsports

you need modify the spindle from P5 to fit in your 4 lug

Also need also make smal space to put between the hub and the disk(it for align the disk with the galiper).

For the disk the person did the swap look also look if he can found disk from miata are the same spec

if your go to the tread in french forum you will see the person change the rear crossmember. He changed because all the part for the brake are atach to. You dosen't need to changed because the P5 and sedan car with drum have the same crossmember.

seb

Comment

call corksport, they have every thing you need to swap . they get it from the jdm car with 4 lug rear disk.. forgot where i read that, ill go search for it again..
                          edit
                          Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

post number 10
                          Last edited by ShogunProtege; 03-20-2005, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Brake conversion

I got my brake/suspension conversion from an 01 MP3. You will need the rear brake hoses, and emergency brake cables, but the master cylinder AND proportioning valve is exactly the same.
                            2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

They shouldn't be... I agree. But, The Mazda EPC gives me the same part number for 2003 Protege with 2-Disc or 4-Disc brake. However, I have not yet bolted my new brakes and suspension up, so I may learn something new next weekend.
                              2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

Working...
                              X