Dhuh.. what ohm load does this run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dhuh.. what ohm load does this run?

yeah.. see chad's got him self some nice 15 inch daytons now, and i'm trying to help him out the best that i can, however, his goofy ass subwoofers have dual 8 ohm voice coils. now a person like me, i need diagrams to figure out ohm loads properly. so likewise, i've made a diagram hoping i'd get a 2 ohm load out of it, however, i'm just not seeing it being possible. maybe one of you wiring nuts can help us out ?
    kevin
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Kevin
    however, his goofy ass subwoofers have dual 8 ohm voice coils.

is that bad? lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
      yeah.. see chad's got him self some nice 15 inch daytons now, and i'm trying to help him out the best that i can, however, his goofy ass subwoofers have dual 8 ohm voice coils. now a person like me, i need diagrams to figure out ohm loads properly. so likewise, i've made a diagram hoping i'd get a 2 ohm load out of it, however, i'm just not seeing it being possible. maybe one of you wiring nuts can help us out ?
      kevin
      Since resistance in parallel in an electrical circuit is equal to the reciprocal of the reciprocals, the load you have diagrammed is equal to 2 ohms.

1 divided by 1/8+1/8+1/8+1/8 = 2
      Last edited by goldstar; 03-20-2005, 12:56 PM.
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

sweet thank you sir.

chad, get the rockford fosgate 501bd like i was telling you. it's going to give you 250 watts+ per sub at a 2 ohm load. if thats a bit pricey, i'm sure i could find a cheaper brand that would give you 600 watts of total power. partsexpress.com says you should have 350 watts RMS.. i'm not entirely sure all that power is necessary, but i'm sure someone else could tell you.

also, given you have 2 of these subs http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-190

and given my limited experience with winisd beta, the 295-190 from dayton should for two subs, with no seperate chambers for each sub.. you're looking at 7.941 square feet, using 3/4 inch MDF, you're looking at an optimum box size at around 25.77 inches Wide X 40.33 inches High X 16.06 inches Deep. at least thats the information i'm getting from it.
        kevin

Comment

isnt that 300 watts per coil tho?

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
            Since resistance in parallel in an electrical circuit is equal to the reciprocal of the reciprocals, the load you have diagrammed is equal to 2 ohms.

1 divided by 1/8+1/8+1/8+1/8 = 2
            Just as a note to everyone else reading this I wanted to point out that there's an easier/faster way to find parallel resistance if all the resistors have the same value. Just divide that value by the number of resistors you have in parallel and you will get Rtotal. In this case Rtotal = 8 ohms / 4 "resistors" = 2 ohms.

Comment

honestly.. it think thats a tremendous over ratting.. hence asking for someone else's opinion. i ran my phoenix 15 to full throw (full excursion) with half power on my 500 watt alpine amp. sound quality wise, it only took 3/4 volume and half gain to push my sub to ear ringing extentions. size wise, the subs are very comparable and have around the same xmax.. so i'd assume the same performance from one sealed/ported 15 to 2 sealed 15's. by they're recommendations, you should be pushing 1200 watts RMS to your entire setup. at that, your only option would be another power acoustics amp like the one you were running previously.
              kevin

Comment

for future reference:

Comment

I had a power acoustik amp for quite some time pushing my power acoustik 15" mofo subs. I was never impressed with it. It claimed somethin like 2400 watts or some ****, but knew it was bull so I went and bought a Kicker 1200 watt and it was infinitely better. personal experience though. power acoustik sub=thumbs up; power acoustik amp=thumbs down.
                  To each his own... my own just happens to be ****ty.
                  http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/627186

Comment

Originally posted by 13r1an
                    I had a power acoustik amp for quite some time pushing my power acoustik 15" mofo subs. I was never impressed with it. It claimed somethin like 2400 watts or some ****, but knew it was bull so I went and bought a Kicker 1200 watt and it was infinitely better. personal experience though. power acoustik sub=thumbs up; power acoustik amp=thumbs down.

i've had the A1700DB and the A3000DB. with the A1700DB i hit a 151.2 dB with a single mofo 15 and with the A3000DB i hit a 147.2 with the brahma 10. they'll put out the rms power for a few seconds, as i load tested to verify. removing the cover of the amp you'd find a puny power supply, which is why they can't keep up the power. they are decent amps for the money, but nothing all that special.

Comment

Working...
                    X