Loping idle, 500 - 900 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loping idle, 500 - 900 RPM

When I come to a stop after driving any distance, or even if I rev up the engine a tad and let off the throttle, the engine RPMs will go down to 750, then drop to 500, go back to 900, drop to 500, then settle back at 750.

The idle at 750 is a bit on the rough side also. In a couple of minutes I am going to replace the spark plugs, rotor, and cap. I'll see if that helps at all, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with a DOHC engine.

Thanks!

"Mazderati"
    91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
    Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
    Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
    AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Look also for leaks in the air intake system.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

it's a pretty common defect in our motors. a lot of the 1st gen people have that, hell i have a rought idle but my rpms dont flucuate.
      James G.
      sobe83@yahoo.com
      AIM: DVS 323BPT
      MySpace
      Cardomain
      <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

It's not a defect -- it's a problem, with a solution.

Comment

The power seems a little better, but the idle fluctuation is still there. The idle at 750 RPM seems a little less rough.

Just to clarify, the RPMs only fluctuate in a cycle about two or three time and then the RPMs settle at 750 and stay there as long as I don't touch the gas pedal.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Didn't take your meds today?

I'm not worried about it. I was just wondering if other people had a similar experience and if they did anything to fix it. If I get around to it, I'll diagnose it.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
              The power seems a little better, but the idle fluctuation is still there. The idle at 750 RPM seems a little less rough.

Just to clarify, the RPMs only fluctuate in a cycle about two or three time and then the RPMs settle at 750 and stay there as long as I don't touch the gas pedal.
              You told us this before... Look this topic has been explained many time on several different fourms. so your car has an idle flucuations that only cycles 3 times. most of our cars do. If you do a search you will discover what i wrote about fixing my bad idle. I even went in depth on the subject on the other fourm.

Upgrade your grounds, check your vaccum hoses! Done problem solved.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

not to be an ass.. eh, well, alright, i'll be an ass! when you say up the ground, you talking about the stock ground wiring? or a ground wire kit? the ground wire kit had a pretty worthless yield in my department... reguardless, my idle changes from day to day... even different at different parts of the day. sometimes i hover just over 800 at idle in drive, sometimes 1,100.. depends on how hard i'm pushing my car or just even how long i've been driving . when i start my car after sitting for 6 to 8 hours, the engine revs up at 2,000 and takes nearly 2 minutes to fully normalize if i don't drive it at first. thats just a common thing, i don't even notice it.
                peace

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                  [B]You told us this before... Look this topic has been explained many time on several different fourms.
                  We're not on any of those forums right now, are we?

[B]so your car has an idle flucuations that only cycles 3 times. Wow, most of our cars do. If you do a search you will discover what i wrote about fixing my bad idle.
                  Thanks for the tip. I did search so that I could avoid starting a new thread if possible as to not beat the proverbial dead horse.

Is this a vague reference to the idle problem and the fix? http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...?s=&threadid=9

You never mention what you actually fixed or if it was in fact fixed.

[B]I even went in depth on the subject on the other fourm.
                  I guess I won't bother asking any questions here then. We all might as well not even post here anymore. Why do you post here if all if the info is elsewhere? I guess it works well if you want to make others look stupid.

does this idle affect your performance.... NO, so STFU about it already. Upgrade your grounds, check your vaccum hoses! Done problem solved.
                  Yeah, the idle affects my performance because now I can't get laid. The chicks that would normally flock to my car hear the idle and walk away to the next cool guy that already fixed his fluctuating idle.

Did everyone wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or is everyone's menstrual cycle in synch over here?
                  Last edited by Boston; 10-12-2003, 02:34 AM.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Yay! When I go to www.protegeclub.com I get

protegeclub.com coming soon!
                    FKA!

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

wooo, wooo

look i'm not going to start a flame war here. But has it occured to you that some questions have been asked many times? look your idle problem has been solved, if you want to start a flame war go to off topic.
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Did I miss something?

Comment

wooo, wooo

look i'm not going to start a flame war here. But has it occured to you that some questions have been asked many times? look your idle problem has been solved, if you want to start a flame war go to off topic.
                          Me? Start a flame war? I think you need to reread the thread and see who started bashing who. Actually, just reread your last post.

Wooo, wooo to you too.

No. It absolutely never ever ever never ever occured to me that my question has been asked before.

Is this forum SOOOO busy that you can't stand to have this topic here? I mean, how many new posts have there been in this 1st gen drivetrain forum in the past two days? Does it really cramp your style so much that you have to be a complete dick about it?

You're a smart guy, I'll give you that, but get over yourself already.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

I have to agree with Boston on this one, I've never seen any posts about idle fluctuation....(there might have been some, but I don't remember)........So he asks a question, there are people who ask even more common questions and get an abundance of answers to them, and everybody slams him. Granted there was a little bit of advice, it definately wasn't the response that I would expect to recieve from you guys. Everyone needs to CHILL OUT!!

Comment

Tweeaks - Now there's some advice I can use :D

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X