New How-to. See inside for the link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New How-to. See inside for the link

I did a how-to on silencing my door. Most of you probably already know how to do this, but I took some neat pics and stuff. Hope it helps someone!

My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

i checked it out, but couldn't get the page to load on my dial up

edit:
    when i first checked it you only had the first post with the doc link. i see that you've typed out the instructions with pics but i didn't let them load, cause i'd be here till next tuesday on my dial up
    Last edited by blue LEDz; 10-11-2003, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I had to post them from a coffee shop with a wireless hookup, because of my dialup at the hotel. Can't wait to get back to my DSL at home.
      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

Comment

i was reading your posts bro, VERY detailed how to... however, that interior plastic barrier is actually a good weather barrier, helps to keep water from collecting on your door panels and soaking through. you may find that after about 3 or 4 years, your panels might start to get either a mildew smell or just fall apart all together. i know my doors are nice and poorly designed to the degree that i have this problem if i tear it out. hell, the surrounds in my front speakers flatten out after about 4 or 5 months of installation as it is. who knows
        peace

Comment

thanks, it took longer to put together the how-to than to actually do it. Hopefully it will save someone some time. i am planning on putting some stuff back in to cover just the holes, and not the whole freaking door

Comment

wow, i finally let it load up, and yeah, great how to and the only hole you really have to worry about is the top large hole, because the bottom half of the panel is plastic, and won't rot

Comment

good point, hadn't thought about that. However, dust (with my recent excursions) is an issue, too.

Comment

A very complete and most impressive post! Protege doors are an interesting design, the water barrier in right under the interior skin of the door, so the whole interior is "up for grabs" when it comes to mosture and water. Heat treat generously when applyng deadening to tack up the materail better. I would suggest making sure that all holes end up covered either in sound deadening material, or the original water barrier to help prevent rot of the back of the door panels.
                Once again- very impressive and detailed- Thanks for documenting the process so well for others!!
                David A. Cameron
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                2004 Cooperworks Mini
                2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                Sine Pari

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking of using the original liners' black "hole-fillers" and sealing them down with the tsunami material, cause I have plenty left over. Soon to come is a how-to on silencing the back speaker mount panel.

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                    Thanks. I was thinking of using the original liners' black "hole-fillers" and sealing them down with the tsunami material, cause I have plenty left over. Soon to come is a how-to on silencing the back speaker mount panel.
                    Material, a roller, and a heat gun!! I look forward to seeing the next installment!
                    David A. Cameron

2004 Cooperworks Mini
                    2003 Acura TSX

De Oppresso Liber
                    Sine Pari

Comment

there was no need for a heat gun with this material. Just stick it on. For a roller, I actually used this 90 degree angle socket screwdriver I have. Just used the handle to press down on the material. I am living in a hotel right now, so not much available tool wise. Actually, I am down in Altus, OK, right now. Picked up my tsunami material from the Circuit City on the NW Expressway.

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                        there was no need for a heat gun with this material. Just stick it on. For a roller, I actually used this 90 degree angle socket screwdriver I have. Just used the handle to press down on the material. I am living in a hotel right now, so not much available tool wise. Actually, I am down in Altus, OK, right now. Picked up my tsunami material from the Circuit City on the NW Expressway.
                        I am OKC- I did not know they are doing C-17 at Altus. I know the Circut City on Northwest HIghway well. Well to Oklahoma- it is still very flat! Is there still the good Korean Place rigth on the main drag going to the base down there?
                        David A. Cameron

2004 Cooperworks Mini
                        2003 Acura TSX

De Oppresso Liber
                        Sine Pari

Comment

Not sure which place you are talking about. There is a Thai place on 62, Polynesian Garden just outside the gate, and one more place on 62 as well, buffet. 17s have been here at Altus for years. We do all of our big training here.

Comment

I stand corrected- it is the Thai place, great food. I knew the C-141 was working heavily out of Altus for years, but I retired from the military shortly after they started receiving the c-17s. For me that means one less perfectly good plane to have walked off of in mid air!

I wish I had kept a copy of a post I did one time on the "old" board about deadening. I have done more than a fair share of it. Sucess of deadening projects depends on several factors. I am not saying yours was done incorrectly, far from it, is looks fantastic. My observations are based a desire to do it once, and not have to repeat the process if I get it wrong the first time...
                            My personal preferences are to do it in decent ambient temperature, above 75 degrees with humidity as low as possible. The best results seem to come from "roughing up" the surface to get below the clear coat layer of the paint, and then clean the heck out of the surface with solvent- need ventilation for sure! Deadening does better in smaller sized pieces done in a overlapping quilt like fashion. I have noticed long term adhesion is better if the both the deadening and the surface are heated up. How hot? As hot as you can stand it! The materail is much more pliable when hot, and the advesive gets a better bond. I roll twice, once with a hard wooden roller and second with a rubber roller. A large roller and a really small lenght roller are good investments if you are doing a deadening on a regular basis. The small roller is great for hard to get nooks.
                            Flooring and side panels are easy enough, the great challange to me has always been trunk lids and roofs. My best advice on a trunk is remove it, and do it on the floor! Much better leverage.
                            I have been know to remove the entire dash to get at the firewalls, as I have done in the MSP project I am currently working on. In Protege doors, I also have started to put deadening on the back of the exterior metal as well as the interior side right under the interior trim panels. I also use a latex/water based paint noisekiller to overcoat the deadening itself once installed, but only when I totally done.
                            My general M.O. is to install one overlapping layer throughout, then install the drivers seat and have someone drive me around while I listen for creaks, noise, rattles or spots I may not have gotten quiet right. Based upon the problem spots I find, I then do more deadening. Overall, floors seem to end up with at least two coats as do trunks and the firewall. many door and rear deck panels will do will with one, I like to install deadening on both sides of the deck panel to isolate it.
                            So how much deadening does this end up being in the end. The Sentra that was my last major SQ project car prior to the MSP I have up to seven layers of deadening in spots. I have added the weight on two adults to the car in deadening alone. I would not recommend that much for the ordinary individual, but for a SQ car the quieter the better.
                            How much benefit does all this reap? It helps out but not as much as one might wish for. A good deadening job might eak out an extra 3-6 Db max. The difference between the two numbers can be countless hours, lots of additional weight, and a good size investment of dollars.
                            On a real user car, one that is driven everyday as a primary car, one could not do much better than the course of action that is shown in this excellent post. One again- Bravo!
                            Last edited by dacinokc; 10-13-2003, 04:04 PM.
                            David A. Cameron

2004 Cooperworks Mini
                            2003 Acura TSX

De Oppresso Liber
                            Sine Pari

Comment

wow, thanks for the recommendation! sounds like you've done this for a while. Is the MSP you are working on yours?

As for 141s, they are almost completely gone from active duty now. Only a few left. Even the reserves are replacing them with 17s.

Comment

Working...
                              X