removing center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing center console

i have a 1996 mazda protege 5spd, and i'm having a hard time removing the center console, i cant figure out how to remove the plastic around the shift boot, i cant find clips or anything -- does anyone in here have experance removing these?

i got the first half by the cd player removed, and i got the tray out -- i really need to get under the cupholders to the cigarette lighter, and the plastic is all molded as once piece and i'm afraid i'm going to break something, maybe i'm missing something?

The part around the shift boot is two piece part that comes out really easy. There are some clips in the foot-well area that you need to remove, and be careful they are plastic and break easy. Then there are some screws. Some you will not see unless you move the seats all the way to front, and the others are under two plastic covers just under the emergency brake. They should pop off, and once all the screws are out, both pieces should come off easy. As far as the entire instrument panel, I have have never taken it out. Never had the need.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
      The part around the shift boot is two piece part that comes out really easy. There are some clips in the foot-well area that you need to remove, and be careful they are plastic and break easy. Then there are some screws. Some you will not see unless you move the seats all the way to front, and the others are under two plastic covers just under the emergency brake. They should pop off, and once all the screws are out, both pieces should come off easy. As far as the entire instrument panel, I have have never taken it out. Never had the need.
      there is the tan piece (the piece with the change tray thing, and e-brake) and then a black piece (the part where the center console, and shift boot are) is it not possible to leave the center piece on and just remove the dash portion? it seems to be connected by 4 screws, witch are impossible to reach -- even after buying a 'stubby' screwdriver -- i guess i'll continue to try later - i'm not giving up on this...

*edit i got it all out, i examined the setup before i drove off to work today, and i was able to remove everything just fine.

now i've just got to wait for the FM modulator, Belkin adapter, and Belkin cupholder to come in the mail!
      Last edited by sparkrainfire; 03-30-2005, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Guess I'll just reopen this topic. Like sparkrainfire, I am having the same problem removing my center console.

I have a 98 Protege LX 5spd. I have the back half of the console out. I have removed the two screws in the middle, and the two plastic grommets on the front sides. I have removed the shift boot too. I am just unable to get the front part of the console to come out. Any and all suggestions.

Thanks. (obviously, I have searched)

Clayton

Comment

I happen to have my console out now so I took a few more bad pictures.

The way I got the console free is I removed the stereo/HVAC trim and stuck my hand through the ashtray opening with a flathead screwdriver. After feeling around behind there I managed to get the screwdriver in place to push the little tabs down releasing the console.

Good luck.
          Attached Files
          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

That's good to know. How did you get the stereo/HVAC trim off? Mine was still stuck somewhere at the bottom

Comment

Those pics are just what I was looking for.

Thanks,
              Clayton

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard
                That's good to know. How did you get the stereo/HVAC trim off? Mine was still stuck somewhere at the bottom
                I believe, that there is a screw holding it on behind the ash tray. When i put mine back on i purposely left it out, because i knew i'd be installing and removing it alot. I don't believe it was too hard to get out

Mods:
                JDM Headlights + Corners
                JDM Tailights
                1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                Shaved Side Mouldings
                Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
                Cone Filter
                KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
                E-Bay front strut bar
                Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
                40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
                and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Yeah, remove the lighter and ashtray. Then remove the screw hiding behind the ashtray. Then you have to try to get a grip on the trim to pull it off. It snaps into place.
                  Be very careful and gentle with it as you pull it off. The trim peice likes to try to crack at the bend between the ashtray and the HVAC controls. I will get a pic of the trim on the weekend when I get some time so everyone can see where to pull and where it is thinest.

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Alright, I got some really bad pics. I'm brutal with a camera!

The first pic should give everyone an idea of where the 6 clips are that snap the stereo trim into place. The second pic shows where the trim peice has a tendency to buckle. I've taken two of these off and both have light strain marks right about there. Try to grab the trim so to reduce any possible flex in that area as you pull it out.
                    Attached Files

Much more to come...

Comment

Wow, I just took a look at mine and how did you get the screw from behind th ashtray?

Comment

The tray part of the ashtray actually comes out completely. Then if you get a decent length screwdriver and peek down there you can unscrew it.

Much more to come...

Comment

Oh, cool thanks. I just tug on the tray until it pops out?

Comment

Naw, open the tray all the way. You'll notice the metal part that raises up at the back of the tray. Push it down and slide the tray out to remove it.

Much more to come...

Comment

Awesome, I'll finally be able to clean up the wiring for my neons...it looks so ghetto right now

Comment

Working...
                              X