Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to cut door speaker holes bigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way to cut door speaker holes bigger?

I want to make the speaker holes in the front doors bigger. What's the best way or easiest way to cut that medal and widen it up. I want 6.5" speakers to fit in there.
    Back in BG business.

you don't have to cut the holes bigger, you are going to have to make a spacer anyways so the speaker doesn't hit the window, depending on the mounting depth... for example I used 3/4" mdf for my spacers and cut a hole in my door panels... point of the story is you just make the spacer ring a little bigger, everything else will still fit. if any of this makes sense... another late night for me...
    The Car:
    2003 Mazda Protege 5
    - Injen Intake
    - Meagn Racing Cat-Back
    - 17" Enkei EVO 5's
    - More Goodies to come....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The System:
    Head: Pioneer DEH-P6000
    Components: Infinity Kappa 680.7CS
    Amp: Kenwood KAC-5203
    -
    Sub: RE Audio XXX 15"
    Box: Custom built 4.4cu. ft. Tuned to 27Hz
    Amp: HiFonics Brutus BXi 1606
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrous
      for example I used 3/4" mdf for my spacers and cut a hole in my door panels
      Dumb question: How do you make this look good with mdf poking through a hole in the door panels? (maybe I am not understanding how this would look)
      Also, how much clearance is there before the window hits and if there is enough for my speakers wouldn't it be easier just to cut the holes bigger? Thanks for your help.
      Back in BG business.

Comment

how large are you going?

I have some pretty big speakers in the front of my car and I didnt need to make the hole bigger. I went from the stock 5.25 or whatever it is to a 6.5 no problem.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          how large are you going?

I have some pretty big speakers in the front of my car and I didnt need to make the hole bigger. I went from the stock 5.25 or whatever it is to a 6.5 no problem.
          Mine are 6.5 too but they won't sit flush in the factory holes. I could screw them in but there would be a small gap between the speaker and the door. I think about a 1/4 inch bigger hole would work.
          Back in BG business.

Comment

dremel that bitch out then.......

Mine fit, or maybe I didnt notice that gap at the time....

oh well, I haven't had any problems.

Comment

dremel that bitch out then.......

Mine fit, or maybe I didnt notice that gap at the time....

oh well, I haven't had any problems.
              I have never used a dremel before but I have been thinking about getting one. What kind of bit to I need for this job?
              Back in BG business.

Comment

just a metal grinding bit. Ask the guy at home depot or where ever you get it... he should know.

Comment

Thanks, that should work.
                  Back in BG business.

Comment

no problem, post up if you have any more questions.

oh and you might get more than 1 incase you wear down the bit or something......

oh and individual bits are more expensive per piece, look for a set or a kit or something.

Comment

Any luck? Did you get the speakers to sit right?

Comment

Yea they fit good now. I got the dremel tool and I love it. I have used it probably ten times and I just got it last week.
                        I don't have my window controls hooked back up yet but upon inspection I think they are going to hit the speakers. I'm not sure I care though. I almost never roll them down all the way.

As a side note I got a JVC DVD head unit on Ebay for $215 and it is really cool! Now I can put 4gigs worth of mp3's on one disk. Next I am getting a small video screen that I am going to install in place of my glove box. My dremel tool should come in handy for that too.
                        Back in BG business.

Comment

sweet. Yeah I have used my dremel soo many times its nuts..... Really great tool, especially if you get the flexible extension to get in those hard to reach areas.

Screen in the glove box area? post pics once you get that in, I am curious.

Comment

sweet. Yeah I have used my dremel soo many times its nuts..... Really great tool, especially if you get the flexible extension to get in those hard to reach areas.

Screen in the glove box area? post pics once you get that in, I am curious.
                            I'm not sure about the glove box area yet. I just want to hide the screen because I am tired of people breaking into my cars. Anyway that will be awhile. I have lots of projects that I am in the middle of right now.
                            Back in BG business.

Comment

Originally posted by blk_1stgn_prolx
                              I don't have my window controls hooked back up yet but upon inspection I think they are going to hit the speakers. I'm not sure I care though. I almost never roll them down all the way.
                              i have the same problem with my speakers and im thinking of getting spacers. hopefully that works out well.

i need to get one of those dremels too, whats the prices on them and whats a good brand?

Comment

Working...
                              X