Caster/Camber/Toe for Auto-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caster/Camber/Toe for Auto-X

Hello all! I'm new to this board, but you may have seen me posting on others such as msprotege.com, toprotege.com and mpsport.net.

Somewhere else (I can't seem to find the location now) someone posted their P5 suspension settings for Auto-X.
    They were as follows:
    CAMBER: (F) -2.5 deg, (R) -1.0 deg
    CASTER: (F only) + as much as you can get (usually 2.0 degrees) EQUAL side to side
    TOE: (F) 1/16 out, (R) 1/16 out

I have several questions that I hope someone with suspension alignment knowledge can help me out with. First off, I should clarify that I have lowering coils both front and rear and I also replaced the upper shock absorber bolt (that attaches the front hub assembly) with eccentric camber bolts.

1. To achieve maximum front negative camber, should the front caster be adjusted first?
    2. Is it absolutley critical to have the Caster EQUAL side to side. (I ask this because the caster is set equal according to the direction indicator on the strut mounting block however, the settings do not show up as equal on the alignment computer. They are L 1.72 and R 2.40 and were adjusted so the direction indicators are at the foreward/outside position)
    3. Regarding TOE settings, does a "minus" number indicate an "in" or "out" value?

These are the results that I got from my alignment shop for reference. Is this the best I can hope for?
    Camber: FL -1.86, FR -1.75, RL -1.31, RR -1.11
    Caster: FL 1.72, FR 2.40
    Toe: FL -.03, FR -.03, RL -.01, RR -.01
    - Mark -
    '02 Sunburst Yellow P5

Welcome!

To get more camber, you'll need camber plates for settings in excess of -1.5/2.0 deg. Settings are usually set to "as much as you can get" .....The more the merrier.

Caster, as any alignment setting, should be equal side to side, unless your run a circle track car Turn-in will differ from left to right, with different settings. Slaloms would be murder....lol

Regardless of how the upper mounts are positioned, get them so they match side to side as best as possible.

rear toe should stay at 0 and fron can be the 1/16th out, but should be reset if daily driving. IIRC, - is OUT, + is IN.

Alignment settings are setup dependent and should reflect it. So if your understeering too much, then add more (F) camber and decrease (R) camber...or if it oversteers more, then add more (R) camber...you get the idea. So not all optimum alignment settings will be the same...unless you run the *exact same* setups.

my settings on my first gen are similar
    CAMBER = (F) -3.0 deg (R) -1.5 deg
    CASTER = I don't remember.....whatever the camber plate is set to...lol
    TOE = (F) 1/8th out (R) 0

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
      if the (stock) strut mounts are NOT aligned properly in relation to the strut body, then you WILL get weird caster & camber results which cannot be corrected unless you actually fix the positioning of those mounts
      My front strut mounts are positioned equally. If you have access to the Mazda Service Manual, in section 02-11-2, they are in the "C" position.
      - Mark -
      '02 Sunburst Yellow P5

Comment

what he means is, is the mount mounted properly to the strut BEFORE being mounted on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
          what he means is, is the mount mounted properly to the strut BEFORE being mounted on the car.
          That part is pretty hard to mess up. There is only one hole to accept the top of the strut in the mounting block.

Regarding camber plates, I do not know of any available for the P5, that is why I installed the K-Mac camber bolts. Are there some available?
          - Mark -
          '02 Sunburst Yellow P5

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
            before being so quick with your responses, GO BACK and READ the FSM... page 02-13-3 and 02-14-3 "coil spring installation note"
            Duly noted...
            All is good in the coil spring assembly.

So, are there camber plates available for the P5?
            - Mark -
            '02 Sunburst Yellow P5

Comment

Originally posted by mspeedP5
              Duly noted...
              All is good in the coil spring assembly.

So, are there camber plates available for the P5?
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Thanks! Interesting stuff.
                - Mark -
                '02 Sunburst Yellow P5

Comment

Does anyone think that size of wheel will matter on alignment? Example: Should I have my alignment done with the stock 16" alloys on or use my 17" msp wheels?
                  Patrick
                  SOLD--->'03 Sunlight Silver Metallic ES

Comment

Working...
                  X