rear drum to disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear drum to disc conversion

So this past week I got busy and installed these Rear disc spindles that I got from a 1st gen protege LX. This was the end result below. Looks nice yeah, but I have to tell you it was a major pain in the ass to get all of this to work. I will describe that later though ...
    [IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/s/DSC00298.JPG[/IMG]

This below is the drum system from the passenger side. I had to pull the whole thing out with the Lateral Links due to the bolt at the base of the drum. It goes through the Lateral links and threw the base of the drum and out of theother side. To make a long story short I broke the other one with the breaker bar and this one I just took out and brought it to a shop to get the bolt pulled.

[IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/s/DSC00284.JPG[/IMG]

This below is what happened. They used a torch to try and heat up the center part of the drum where the bolt passes through. then they use the impact wrench to pull it out... harder than it sounds.. trust me..

[IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/s/drum.jpg[/IMG]

Needless to say that bolt was no good.

Ok so now I am stuck. . I have my discs , I have my endlinks... but I have no dang bolts to run through the bottom. Well except for the 1 from the 1st gen that I got from the junkyard. I go next door to another junkyard and get 2 more bolts that are the same lenth for 2 dollars. but they didn't fit... the reason why will be shown in the next photo..

the black bolt is for a 1st gen, the Gold is the type for a 2nd gen.. and possibly 3rd gens to..

Sunday, the day after, I go down to the junkyard and get the 2 bolts on the right side of the photo --goldish color--

the 2nd gens use a longer bolt (by about 2") ...

Anyway they were installed, tightened down.
    after this my ultra lite 13" rims would not fit on the car. so I borrowed 2 14" rims from one of my boys around the way..

And another pic of the finished product.
    [IMG]http://protosportracing.tr****.com/z/s/DSC00299.JPG[/IMG]

Bleed your brakes and you are all set to go..
    You can also add the proportion valve from an ES or a LX 1st gen.

Thanks for looking ..
    there will be a full how to , once protosport is finished being redesigned
    Bruce

*bruce, next time edit your address out of your magazine, lest some weird, disgruntled member come visit you...* i edited the pic. - cablemirc
    Last edited by bruce95fmla; 10-17-2003, 02:18 PM.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

There are no 2nd gen ES' around here.
    And I mean NONE....

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

oh yea well beat this bruce... no protege's at all here! and I mean none! ha! so yea im more screwed than you! hahaha! i win! muhahaha.... wait... **** thats bad... damnit why do i live in redneck country grrr

Comment

Nothing official to quote but I was looking awhile back...the ES models only made 12% of the Protege production, as far as I can tell. So for round numbers, maybe 1 in 10 Proteges will be an ES. No wonder they're so damn hard to find.

Of course, the Mazda service writer who fed me that info could be wrong, but I have no reason to consider his info suspect. Yet.

Comment

davens is right, the 2nd gen ES protege is hard as hell to find. they are extremely rare.

---------------------------------------------------

As I said the 1st gen lx protege rear discs will fit on the car, you just need that longer bolt in the picture, or if you can get your factory one out without a scratch then more power to you.

There was no hacking involved, They had to heat up the bolt to free it from where it was seized at...

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
            davens is right, the 2nd gen ES protege is hard as hell to find. they are extremely rare.

---------------------------------------------------

As I said the 1st gen lx protege rear discs will fit on the car, you just need that longer bolt in the picture, or if you can get your factory one out without a scratch then more power to you.

There was no hacking involved, They had to heat up the bolt to free it from where it was seized at...

Rare, they are. I just saw a first one, 97ES on my school campus. And I began of thinking of ways to steal it to have it all to myself. Muahahaha.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
              Rare, they are. I just saw a first one, 97ES on my school campus. And I began of thinking of ways to steal it to have it all to myself. Muahahaha.
              shoot, I know what you mean, i saw one a few months ago near my house. I swore the person was crazy for parking that **** on the street.. It's liable to get stolen by some mad protege lover or something.. lol hahaha.. I need a 5 speed cpu..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                for the last time, STOP USING "CPU"
                its ECU

THEY'RE NOT THE SAME
                what the CPU? yeah I need one ... you got one

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

haha, I was gonna PM him about that, I forgot.

Bruce, I know where you live now :p
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

thanks guys ..
                    Bruce
                    got a cold beer in the fridge with your name on it charles

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Are you also changing the master cylinder?
                      '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by lotsacars
                        Are you also changing the master cylinder?
                        I was looking at the FSM today and the Master Cylinders are the same .. no need for that. I am going to change the brake proportioning valve..
                        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

thanks guys ..
                          Bruce
                          got a cold beer in the fridge with your name on it charles
                          Sweet, I'm leaving now... be there in about a week :D
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I was looking at the FSM today and the Master Cylinders are the same .. no need for that. I am going to change the brake proportioning valve..
                            Bruce
                            Cool. That's what I was wondering about. I wasn't sure if they had different masters with proportioning built in or if they used an external proportioning valve. Guess I coulda wondered out into the driveway and looked, eh :p:

How much was your FSM, btw?
                            '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

shoot, I know what you mean, i saw one a few months ago near my house. I swore the person was crazy for parking that **** on the street.. It's liable to get stolen by some mad protege lover or something.. lol hahaha.. I need a 5 speed cpu..

uhoh, i'm in trouble
                              95 ES
                              05 S60R

Comment

Working...
                              X