Help me with my system/ basics 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with my system/ basics 101

My system currently consits of some alpine type s 5x7's in the front doors. That are run off a 50x4 kenwood amp with the 4 channels bridged to 2. The reason I did this is becuase when the bass hits and the volume is pretty loud the front speakers get this terrible sound like they just hit into something. What is this sound called? At first I was under the impression that it was clipping but after bridging the amp there seems to be no diffrence. What I need is a way to make it sound acceptable now Im just turning the fader to the back, and almost running the fronts as filler, im affraid that Ill hurt them. My cheapo pioneer 2 way rear speakers seem to be louder and more clear w/ much nicer bass, and there running off headunit power.
    If I were to edead the door would it help at all, Its not a ratlle.

Further more I have no idea what clipping sounds like. I can pick it out w/ an occiliscope but thats about it. Can anyone describe it?

My sub is a fosgate punch stage 1, 12". I have it in a ported box tuned to around 33hz 12" port of 4" pvc pipe. The problem I have is that the bass doesnt get louder after a point. The ordinary speakers seem to drown it out with the sub getting less deep? It might just be me. I have the sub running of a us acoustics amp 200x2, bridged, and am using an active crossover w/ it set to 90hz. Is this a byproduct of the box or could the sub just be topped out. I have been looking into a new one for a while now, just in case.

The headunit is a blaupunkt montecarlo w/ mp3 and such, Im very pleased with it. hope its not a problem.

if you bridged the amp and it's still creating the undesired noise at the same relative volume, it's another problem. something may not be secured, you may be bottoming out the speakers, etc.

Comment

I wouldn't expect too much bass from the front speakers anyway, because they're not really designed for that. Also, do you have a high-pass filter running on the fronts? I.E. they will only play 90hz and above? On my system if I turn off the high-pass filter and let the main speakers play low they start buzzing when the bass hits.

Comment

The bass is nice and crisp and under normal listening very nice. But on some songs the speaker will act normal until a certin note is hit then it goes flat. I dont get any buzing or anything.

These are the speakers.

I think they might actually be bottoming out. Im looking into a set of foam speaker baffles to maybe add some back pressure, and help out the midbass some. Although I have heard that they get messed up when using higher powered speakers, Ie they get crushed and expand and basicly sound like a plastic bag.

Comment

where are your fronts high passed at?

Comment

.....errr there not.
            I can high pass them at 150 hz with a switch on the amp but I try to hold on to all the bass I can get. You think I should go out and buy one of thouse best buy bass blockers.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
              .....errr there not.
              I can high pass them at 150 hz with a switch on the amp but I try to hold on to all the bass I can get. You think I should go out and buy one of thouse best buy bass blockers.

yep. get some that are high passed around 80-100 hz.

Comment

Working...
              X