Alpine radio install help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpine radio install help!!

I have a 2002 Protege 5 and I am trying to install an Alpine CDA9805 in it. I have the wiring harness all done and I am trying to get the black rubber plug from the stock radio to mount on the alpine. I can't get it to screw in properly, is the rubber plug needed for the radio to be secure from the back?

I have a metra universal pocket install kit, should I get the scosche kit and use it instead of the metra kit?

The radio seems to mount correctly but there is no support on the back.

Any help on this would be great.

Shano

that back bolt is not a necessity, but it is a good idea for security if it is actually bolted at the rear. the alpine should have come with a bolt for it.

Comment

I have the Scosche kit and am not using anything behind the unit to "secure" it better. It hasn't skipped or any thing and has been in the car since May or June. But with the scosche kit, there is plastic trim around the entire radio, whereas, the Metra kit is just a bottom pocket only.
      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
      Groundkit

Comment

Thanks for the info, I found the scosche kit at www.buy.com for $9.95 plus shipping. It looks a lot better than the metra pocket and hopefully will fit better...

Thanks for the help

Shano

Comment

u know u chould get it at walmart right? and if not there... just go to a stereo shop and get it there and not pay shipping and have it right then and not have to wait.....

Comment

I never thought of walmart! I checked all my local stereo shops and they all cary Metra products. I think I will try walmart on the way home from work....thanks!

shano

Comment

walmart= home of schoshe

Comment

I am big on the use of the plug, it normally helps to keep the headunit "even" in the car without the rear end jumping around. Having all the weight purely on the front is not the best of ideas. I like backstraps for security, I am pretty fanatical about them, but the rubber plug will absord show and not allow it to be transmitted into the radio itself...
                I have noted several times in installs that the plug will actually fit right into one of the two large square holes in the vertical bar right behind the radio. You would thing they designed that way of something!
                If you remove the glove box and use a good light, you will be able to see the back end of the radio and be able to guide it in.
                Gool luck with the threading problem and let us all know what you end up doing please!
                David A. Cameron
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                2004 Cooperworks Mini
                2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                Sine Pari

Comment

Working...
                X