lowering springs with stock shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowering springs with stock shocks?

i am planning on lowering my car within the next month or so (most probably eibach sportline), but my dad and his brothers are trying to scare me into not lowering it. today they were talking about how i will have to replace my shocks b/c they will get damaged if i lowered my protege. does anyone have any comments about this? im not really all that knowledgble about this subject b/c i only want to lower my car for the looks. can anyone share their opinions about the pros and cons of lowering a car?

depends on how low the springs are and the spring rates. if they are stiff and only a 1''-1.25'' drop ull be fine for a while on stock struts. but when u lower the struts with the springs they apply more pressure on the struts, in time they will loose compression and ride like crap. I did a stock MP3 setup. the MSP/MP3 Springs on stock struts. Nice 1'' drop in rear and front. NOT SLAMMED but looks beter then before.
    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
    Beige 1994 Protege DX
    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

The main issue with using lowered springs with stock shock is the compression stroke of the stock shock is made to work with a stock length spring. When you lower the car, this compression stroke is reduced and will cause the shock to bottom out on larger bumps. This bottoming out destroys the seals faster. This will cause the shock to leak and reduce it's affectiveness. This is not necassarily something that happens overnight, but you can figure the life of the stock shock will probably be reduced by 50%. If you slam the car, the life of the shocks will probably be 25% of what stock would be.

Comment

1.5 drop F&R, been riding on mine for four hard years. I dont diagree with the life expectancy but if it aint broke yet dont fix it.

Mine still ride nice after jumping over railroad tracks, intersections and driving through the woods and construction constantly. I am begining to notice I will probably want to change them in the next year sometime.

If you are not going to do it yourself and have to pay someone to do it maybe you should change everything.

Time flies almost 5yrs on oe shocks.

Comment

guess I sould pay attention to the date of post

Comment

i Just redid my front coils on the MSP suspension, shaved off a coil now its a smooth even drop. Keep in mind that the MSP/MP3 springs are EIBACH's but for somereason they dont seed evely. but looking at the MSP's they arnt sittin that low to begin with in the front. So now i have a complete 1.25 drop all around. Ill post pics in a few days when shes all cleaned up.
            Maroon 1995 Probe SE
            Beige 1994 Protege DX
            Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

im getting some eibach pros ( the sportline is retarded, pros the way to go ) , that shouldent have any problems eh?
              Joe H
              2000 Chevy Impala
              3400 3.4 Liter V6
              Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
              U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
              Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

From the eibach faq

13 Does the Eibach Pro-Kit work with the OEM shock?
                All Eibach Pro-Kits are engineered to perform in harmony with the original damper of the special vehicle - take for granted a good working condition. All TÃœV approvals in Germany certify the combination of the Pro-Kit with an OEM shock.

14 What happens to the warranty of the OEM shock when combined with Eibach Pro-Kit?
                There is no change of the warranty. Actually, the weight of the car and the required basic dynamic work remain the same. Though with special progressive characteristic of the Pro-Kit, the damper is challenged more and usually makes it wear out faster.

Comment

^^ agreed, for *more* performance, you'll want a more agressive spring. (i.e H&R)

For tooling around and looking pimp, Eibachs are fine, although not very low.

Comment

well then whats good that costs under 300 dollers and are springs not coilovers

H&R's and Eibachs!
                    Joe H
                    2000 Chevy Impala
                    3400 3.4 Liter V6
                    Fun Times

Comment

yup, those are it.

There are quite a few companies that have springs for the 3rd gens, but those 2 are great choices, and probably the cream of the crop, as far as quality, and recognition as a proven quality part.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                        H&Rs are still too ****ty for handling
                        have you raced on them? have you been to HPDE track days and actually ran them as hard as you can on multiple occasions to determine thier *****ty handling* or are you just talking out your ass? Granted 1st and 3rd gens are different, but quality R&D finds it's way into all their products.

Comment

Thats odd, as H&R are generally known for being the stiffest pigtail spring.

are you sure the Prokit for the 3rd gen is progressive? (hahahha, i'm asking theMAN if he's sure....again)

just that for the MZ3, i called eibach to get the rates and the Prokit was listed as progressive, but my call got me a linear answer (and spring rate) while the sportlines are progressive and listed with 2 rates per spring...a hi-low rate so tp speak.

Comment

Whats the deal with the proteges anyway, are they oversteer'ers stock?

Ive noticed during heavy high speed turning with the tires squealing to **** that the back end feels like it slides more then the front... oversteer?
                            Joe H
                            2000 Chevy Impala
                            3400 3.4 Liter V6
                            Fun Times

Comment

I assure you we understeer alot.

It is possible to swing the tail out though. We have very mild understeer.

Comment

Working...
                              X