Overheating....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating....

Anybody ever have problems with overheating after listening to their system for a while?
    The other day I was sitting in the parking lot of Wendy's with a bunch of friends late at night. After maybe 15-20 mins I notice steam coming from the front of my car and I look down to see my temp gauge is almost pegged. I immediately turned off the car and let it cool down.
    The next morning I check all of the coolant and topped off the radiator. Thought things were going ok but then it happened agian.
    While sitting in traffic for about 10-15 mins. I turned off my stereo and turned off the car when I would sit in the same spot for a while hoping that the car would eventually cool down.
    Once I started driving there was no problem and when I'm riding around theres no problem either but after sitting around things start to get too hot. I'm running 2 amps so this might not really help the situation.
    Anybody else have this problem? and if so what'd you do to fix it?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

I've been thinking about running a few switches to turn off the my amps and and a switch to run the speakers off of the head unit power. Of coarse I would only run one at a time so I wouldn't distort my speakers.
    I would only run the 2 in the front doors and the 2 in the shelf off of the head unit. If I put this in I would only use this as a last resort and not an everyday thing. I wouldn't run the rear door speakers of the subs when in "low power" mode.
    I've got the whole wiring scheme figured out with the switches and relays and everything else. I've been trying to find something else to do and this seems like cheap fun.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>

Comment

check your thermstat, b/c you sound system has nothing to dowith your car overheating unless you fans on your radiator don't come on b/c the water bump is belt driven.
      '02 classic red p5
      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

your system has nothing to do with your engine heating up, and steam coming out of your engine compartment.

thread moved to 2nd gen engine and drivetrain

Comment

Your cooling fans probably don't work.
          Maybe a blown relay or fuse.
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

When was the last time you flushed the coolant?

When was the last time you changed the thermostat?

Did you let your car idle and look under the hood to verify that your fans turn on?

When is the last time you serviced the water pump?

After servicing the coolant system did you or whoever bleed the system?
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, things didn't seem to add up to me either. But I wasn't sure if something strange was happening that I didn't know about.
              The fans were on and are still functioning.

The radiator was flushed when I bought the car in March along with a few other maintanace things.

I've never checked the water pump or the thermostat. Pretty sure the thermostat is fine though. I was at idle since I was in neutral for a good while...who in their right mind is gonna sit and eat with their foot on the clutch for 30 mins

Comment

OH....and I'm still thinking about adding the switches just because it sounds cool and I'm wanting to get my hands into something.
                Any body else get these urges to play with their car?

Comment

I just replaced the thermostat in mine. It's a $5 item that will answer your question pretty quick. If your fans were on and you were full of coolant then your thermostat is stuck closed.
                  '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

c'mon don't ignore the cause...

Originally posted by MazdaMania
                    Yeah, things didn't seem to add up to me either. But I wasn't sure if something strange was happening that I didn't know about.
                    The fans were on and are still functioning.

The radiator was flushed when I bought the car in March along with a few other maintanace things.

I've never checked the water pump or the thermostat. Pretty sure the thermostat is fine though. I was at idle since I was in neutral for a good while...who in their right mind is gonna sit and eat with their foot on the clutch for 30 mins
                    "pretty sure the thermostat is fine though." it's most likely the thermostat. just spend the extra 5-10dollars, and it's worth peace of mind and insurance in the long run.

late
                    Almost there

jdm tails... check
                    jdm bumper... check
                    ms lip... check
                    ms grill... check
                    ms sideskirts... check
                    ms rear skirts... check
                    ms spoiler... check
                    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsacars
                      I just replaced the thermostat in mine. It's a $5 item that will answer your question pretty quick. If your fans were on and you were full of coolant then your thermostat is stuck closed.
                      If the stat was stuck closed, it woldn't matter if he's driving or not. It would still overheat.
                      Most cars have Failsafe thermostats now anyways don't they???

My car has had the temp gauge go up a little bit, sitting in highway traffic in like 100 degree weather but thats only because the Idle Air Control vavle is apparently ****ed in some way. But it hasn't done it for quite some time now.
                      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

hey hey hey....I know I'm a poor college student but I won't ignore it. It'll get done sometime soon. It's definately worth the few bucks it costs.

Anybody know if there are switches that fit into the spots in the middle console on either side of the e-brake? I know this is off topic and I've posted it in another section to. But heck, if more people read it than I'm more likely to get an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                          If the stat was stuck closed, it woldn't matter if he's driving or not. It would still overheat.
                          Most cars have Failsafe thermostats now anyways don't they???
                          It depends. If it's cool enough out then the air flow caused by driving around could be enough to keep him out of the red if it's only partially stuck. I'm not familiar with the "Failsafe" thermostats you speak of. Thermostats generally have a trickle hole where some coolant will always be able to pass through, but it's not very big. I don't know that it would be enough to prevent you from overheating.
                          '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

A failsafe thermostat is designed such that if it "fails" it fails in the open position.

Comment

Generally speaking when they fail they do fail in the open position. I have heard of them getting stuck closed, however. Pretty infrequent occurance from what I understand.
                              '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X