Cross-Drilled rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross-Drilled rotors

I thinking about puttin cross-drill rotors on my 97 pro. tell if that a good idea or it doesnt matter.
    Chillac has been there... I think

There is no benefit to it other then the looks. Cross-drilled rotors are also more prone to cracking. If you still want a better look for your brakes, you can at least get slotted rotors.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

save the 40 bucks per rotor and get some high quality solid/vented rotors... and some KVR pads...
      thats the more performance oriented view of things

from the asthetic perspective... plated cross drilled rotors with whatever pads.... i dont recommend this though

Comment

where can i go to get high quality solid/vented rotors... and some KVR pads???

Comment

where can i go to get high quality solid/vented rotors... and some KVR pads???

Comment

I sell KVR
            where are you located, and do you have the 1.5 or 1.8L?

that is for the pads...

as for the solid/vented rotors, you could go to either the dealership... OR go to your local parts store and ask for a price for rotors... and they'll give you a price for the low end one, and a price for the higher quality one...
            get the higher quality one... they're less prone to disfigurement/overheating
            they'll last longer

also, it is VERY important to break in your new pads and new rotors properly
            to optimize life and performance

Comment

im located in Jersey but my boy got cross-drill and he said that it has better stopping distance at high speeds or that doesn't really matter when it comes to high quality rotors

Comment

Cross drilled only has performance benefits if you use the car on actual road racing. When under long distance, constant braking, there is a gas released that can sometimes keep the pad from fully contacting the rotor surface. The holes are there to give the gas an exit, keeping the full contact patch of the pad on the rotor. But you won't see any kind of performance gain on just normal driving / auto x / spirited backwoods driving. Like suggested earlier, just get some slotted rotors and nice pads. The brake pads are probably the most important thing to look for. KVR's are nice, but Hawk pads should also be a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                  Cross drilled only has performance benefits if you use the car on actual road racing. When under long distance, constant braking, there is a gas released that can sometimes keep the pad from fully contacting the rotor surface. The holes are there to give the gas an exit, keeping the full contact patch of the pad on the rotor. But you won't see any kind of performance gain on just normal driving / auto x / spirited backwoods driving. Like suggested earlier, just get some slotted rotors and nice pads. The brake pads are probably the most important thing to look for. KVR's are nice, but Hawk pads should also be a consideration.
                  actually pads now are not manufactured the same as they were long ago when the 'gas' used to create a film between the pad and rotor.... pads now do not create that gas, so cross drilled rotors are purely asthetic

i can provide more info on this topic if anyone is interested...

Comment

how much for KVR pads? just wondering if you can you do KVR pads for a 1.5 in the front and pads for a 1.8 in the rear? for obvious reasons i am planning on getting the 1st gen rear disc brakes and keeping my discs in the front.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                    Mods:
                    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

alright, i'll make a thread in the vendor section in regards to KVR pads and prices....
                      i'll post here when its done

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                        how much for KVR pads? just wondering if you can you do KVR pads for a 1.5 in the front and pads for a 1.8 in the rear? for obvious reasons i am planning on getting the 1st gen rear disc brakes and keeping my discs in the front.
                        alright guys, check out this thread:

It has all the info on KVR pads and rotors... as well as prices and my personal opinions... and just some general info on brakes upgrades in general.

Whether or not you're considering upgrading, for knowledge sake... its a good idea to check it out

- chris

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                          I sell KVR
                          Chris, we'll be talking very soon
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                            Chris, we'll be talking very soon
                            Ya man.. check out the thread in the vendors section with all the prices and everything... good thing is that you dont have to pay any shipping cause we'll just meet up somewhere

bad thing is i gotta charge you pst

Comment

whatever. thats cool.
                              I'd really be interested in a set of those braided brake lines, but 151 USD is a bit steep for me.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X