Check engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check engine

I was driving home today after a short trip to the store.
    When I got into the car everything was fine but as soon as I hit 4k rpm the cel came on.
    I have no clue why.

I just got the oil and tranny fluid changed last week, hell I even got a full tank of gas.

Can anyone help me out here? My car is stock everything and its a 2000 1.6l auto, if it makes any diff.

This is freaking me out, I practicly baby the thing.
    Any ideas on the problem?

unfortunately there is a **** ton of things that make a CEL come on. but luckily for you, you can go to autozone and have them scan it for free they will either be able to tell you exactly what it is, or they will give you the code # that you can take to the dealership, or post here and i can look it up for you

Comment

Can you say MAF problem??? It happens to a lot of 3rd genners, and that may be the problem. Try cleaning it, and the good thing is Mazda extended the warrenty on it.
      2000 DX, Blue
      Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
      2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

you said that you just good a full tank of gas

make sure that the gas cap when you close it
        it makes a ticking sound, so no air
        comes in
        (if you already know this, then ignore it)

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

The gas cap was the first thing I checked, if only it was that easy.

Well tomorow Im gonna take it to my mechanic and have him hook it up to a computer, and check everything out.

There are no noticible problems but before this I noticed that at idle the car would kick back and forth. So I think its mot likley the maf.

Comment

Did you change the oil yourself? If not, maybe the jiffylube guys (or whoever) knocked a connector loose when they were checking the air filter. I've seen that happen before.
            ~Mark.
            2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

so what happened?
              any developments

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Ok, I pretty much just got this car so I don't know many specifics about it.

On my old MX-6 I could just ground a self-test wire and my CEL would blink telling me what codes are wrong, does the Protege have anything that you can pull the codes yourself.

I understand this is a much newer car, but I was just wondering.
                03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

Originally posted by 03MSP
                  Ok, I pretty much just got this car so I don't know many specifics about it.

On my old MX-6 I could just ground a self-test wire and my CEL would blink telling me what codes are wrong, does the Protege have anything that you can pull the codes yourself.

I understand this is a much newer car, but I was just wondering.

there is nothing about that in the factory service manual, which i have in PDF format, but it does list all the codes that auto zone can bring up with a code scanner was your mx-6 OBD 1 or 2? that might have something to do with it also

Comment

Weirdest thing.
                    It just turned off.

I think it was a loose wire or something.
                    Mechanic said it nothing.

You can do it yourself I head there is this palm add on that lets you read the ecu.

Comment

Working...
                    X