Installed an EQ, too much noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed an EQ, too much noise

As the title said, I installed an EQ the other day and now I get terrible alternator whine and lots of popping when I turn the car off. The power for the EQ is spliced from the head unit power, but it's grounded separately... I thought the ground was the important part? Maybe not. Also, about getting rid of the popping, I've had the amps installed forever and it's never made this noise, so I assume that the problem is the EQ shutting off and cutting off the sound feed before the amps shut off, so therefore I think I need a delay circuit on the EQ not the amps. I'm not sure how to wire it, though. Please help!

Heh I get crazy poping when I turn the car on or off. I get the high pitched pop from the front amp and two pops from the sub one for the crossover and another from the amp. I dont even notice it anymore, its natural.

THe delay circuit would be sending the signal to the speakers to ground when the turn on lead goes on, and just as it goes off.

Comment

ground the EQ to where the amp(s) are grounded. while you are at it, ground your HU to the same spot as well.

Comment

Blah, they're grounded in the trunk. Oh well, another wire won't hurt.

Comment

Revival of an old thread...

I finally got around to grounding everything into the trunk where the amps are grounded... did not fix (or noticeably affect) the whining problem. Any other ideas?

Comment

what kind of EQ is it? if it's a cheaper one you may need a noise filter for it. some don't have good noise filters built in.

is the pop still there?

Comment

It's a very cheap one... Legacy brand. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it, it's mainly a temporary setup. Final will have the EQ built in to the computer that's going to be running the entire music/entertainment system. But if noise filters are really that cheap it's probably worth getting one since I'm not sure exactly when I'm going to replace the whole thing. Does that just get wired inline with the ground?

I actually forgot about the popping... I haven't paid enough attention. I would assume it's still there cause I never actually did anything to fix it. I don't really care that much... again, it's temporary. That definitely is just an issue of what turns off first, though. Nothing actually wrong with anything, I just don't have it set up properly.
              Last edited by jnorion; 08-06-2005, 02:44 PM.

Comment

i can't say i've ever used a noise filter. but from the looks of it you need to connect it to a positive source as well. then one of the wires goes to the chassis ground and the other goes to the EQ's ground.

if you've still got the pops, you can easily fix that with a diode and a capacitor for a couple bucks.

Comment

Yeah, I have the circuit diagram for the pop eliminator, I just never got to it. I'll probably buy one of those noise filters just to see how well it works... for that price it's worth it.

Comment

could also try running all grounds back to the battery terminal. basically reverse the wiring you just did

Comment

Did I ever tell you where the grommet for the factory wiring harness is on the AWD version? No? That's cause I NEVER FOUND IT. It's buried up inside body panels that are not intended to come apart. I had to drill a hole in the firewall to fit the power cable for my amp through. I don't really feel like messing with that **** again. I'll try the noise filter that Brian posted, but if it doesn't work I'll just let this be the temporary setup it is. I'm used to it by now, and the EQ cost me under $40 shipped so I was expecting this anyway.

Comment

doh...i just re-read and noticed you said it was a Legacy brand....don't wanna sound like an ass dude, but thats like a 1/4 step above wal-mart

Comment

Oh, come on, give me a 1/3 step at least...

I am very aware it was cheap. I mainly wanted to test out the possibilities at the time, and as always I was dirt poor. And it's temporary. And you guys all suck, leave me alone!!! :p:

Comment

OK, now I'm getting really annoyed... I bought a Scosche ground loop isolator today and it still didn't fix the problem. So far I've only had a chance to test it in one spot on the system, but the whole thing is just pissing me off. I even went so far as to take the EQ out completely, but now there's some other noise in the system and so the only way to totally get rid of the whine is to only run one RCA set back to the amp, which means I lose my fader or NF controls and the sound is not as good. I drove around for half the day without the EQ and then decided I'd rather just deal with the whine so I put it back. I need money to start on my new system and do away with the whole thing!

Comment

This gets weirder all the time. I realized I had been stupid and hooked the ground loop isolator in at the wrong spot. I switched some cables around, and now the whine is basically gone. You can hear it if you listen really hard, but it's barely there and it works just fine for me. BUT, now when you turn the headlights on there is a feedback buzz type of sound that is just constant (doesn't vary with engine speed)... but it only happens when the engine isn't running! If I start the car the feedback goes away. Why?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X