Brake Noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Noise.

The best I can describe it is a muffled metallic Squeak, it happens when I apply the brakes sharply. Only when the car is moving, Which made me first think it was something from in the suspension when the weight transfers to the front during heavy braking, but I can actually feel it through the pedal at the same time. Even if the radio is cranked I know its still there because I can still feel it. Aside from checking to make sure the calipers and mounting brackets are tight what else should I look for??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

They aren't totally worn. I just replaced the rotors 3 weeks or so ago.
    I was hoping that the pads would last me till ~ June or so but I guess I'll need pads sooner than I think.

How bad are glazed pads for breaking in new rotors??
    Last edited by midnightblue97; 04-29-2005, 11:08 PM.
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I had a similar problem last year. Although mine wasn't worn out brakes or a faulty caliper. I had a busted bearing. Instead of making the usual squeak type noise when bearings go out, it was making a grinding noise, and tons of "brake type" dust was all over my rims. I could have sworn it was the brakes, but it wasn't pulling to a particular side while stopping and I couldn't feel it.

Sounds like you just need new pads though.

Comment

do you have all the shims in place behind the pad??
        and do you have the antisqueal lubricant between the shims?

(also, your pads came in... let me kno when you wanna meet)

Comment

what brand of brake pads did you put? mine are 2 months old and squeal like theres no tomorrow! might be the pads' compound is too hard...
          ProtegetechPhilippines Boy MazdaspeeD MyCaR

Comment

*UPDATE*
            So I just replaced my pads with new KVRs from Pigeon, thanks again chris, and had my "less than 1000km on them" front rotors machined and the sound still persists. If it wasn't for the fact that this noise *seems* to be coming from the front, I'd just write it off as being the rears which I know are ****ed anyways.

My pedal is still pulsing as well.

Again I have made sure that the parking brake was adjusted properly and we all know how to tell wether or not the fronts or rears are the culprits and again I feel no pulsing of the parking brake lever while the vehicle is moving. I also made sure that the front mating surfaces of the rotor and wheel hub were clean of any crap.
            I think for now I'll just assume that the rears are causing the pulsing as well and leave it at that. Unless someone has some valid comments to the contrary.

When I get my new rear rotors and pads, if the problem persists then I will be worried.

Comment

Yes and yes.

Comment

not a problem man..

now when you put back on the shims, did you put any of the slider grease between them?
                this is a technique used to dampen vibration between the shims and the backing plate of the pads

special antisqueal compound is sold for this particular application as well...

however, whichever you use... you put some between the contact area between:
                1. the piston and the back of the first shim
                2. the other side of that shim and the backing plate of the pad
                3. the outboard pads contact area with its shim

Also, are you beveling the edges of the new pads?
                Having a 90 degree angle between the pad and the rotor also may cause some squealing

Comment

No I didn't do that, the beveling part.
                  1 I didn't kinow it was necessary, and 2 I've never done it before and its never been a problem for me on the 3 or so other sets of pads that I've put on the front of that car.
                  Basically I did everything that I usually do when I change the pads but this **** is happening. Well, like I said, I'll have to wait until I do the rears and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                  X