2003 DX to LX gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 DX to LX gauges?

Is it possible to convert a non-tach 2003 DX gauge cluster with a LX or ES tach cluster??

yes, they will switch out with each other, but, the problem is, the mileage will say whatever is on the other cluster.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

So the tach will work, right?

I thought the miles were kept digitally on the car, not on the cluster??

Comment

The tach will work, but, no, the miles are stored in the cluster itself.

Comment

WRONG. Millege on the newer cars are DIGITAL. not like our older cars. Yes everything is a direct swap. Millege will be correct on either cluster. THe older cars like 1st and 2nds have non digital millege. wich wont convert over if u swap clusters.

Id do a P5 Cluster Swap in a DX
          thats would be pimp. hehe Just a thought. But ull be fine when u swap to a tach cluster.
          Maroon 1995 Probe SE
          Beige 1994 Protege DX
          Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

just thought id enlighten you guys...I tried doing a guage swap in my 2000 DX, no luck!!!!...everything worked and lit up in the cluster EXCEPT the tach....the wiring just isnt there in the DX...so unless you want to rob the signal out of the diagnostic box and somehow jerry rig it into the cluster so that the tach gets signal, its not going to work...If you go thru that much trouble might as well get an after market monster tach or something....also as far as the mileage being digital, yes that is true, but it is stored onboard the cluster with the battery backup on the cluster, so no the mileage WILL NOT be right either....do some research before opening your big mouth and giving out false information!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maz94protege
              WRONG. Millege on the newer cars are DIGITAL. not like our older cars. Yes everything is a direct swap. Millege will be correct on either cluster. THe older cars like 1st and 2nds have non digital millege. wich wont convert over if u swap clusters.

Id do a P5 Cluster Swap in a DX
              thats would be pimp. hehe Just a thought. But ull be fine when u swap to a tach cluster.
              It's still stored in the cluster, genius

Sorry, I thought the tachometer would work if you hooked it up.

Comment

Thanks macdaddyslomo, exactly the confirmation I needed. Will consider other options.

slikpro.

Comment

well i know on the P5s its stored in the ECU. Cause when i worked at mazda i watched a tech swap the cluster out because of the cluster plastic glass broke. and i questioned him bout the millege. and he told me all the digital reading Odometers are stored in the ECU... SORRY FOR FALSE information, but Thats just what i heard from my tech. And the tach should work....i dont know why mazda would do something that chevy or chrysler does and not make everything universal. All the wiring is the same in all the cars. Just the cheaper cars just dont have the options...

so dont be a smart ass and start bitchin, cause i know all mazda owners do it. Just Correct me or someone else when they have wrong information......

Damn....
                  Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                  Beige 1994 Protege DX
                  Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

It's still not stored in the ECU, even on the P5.

Comment

it would make more sense if it was stored in the ECU. Storing it in the cluster is retarded.....something GM, Ford or Chrysler would've did, but not Mazda.
                      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

Comment

WTF is this world comin to...Not even the techs know this ****..... but then how did the millege stay the same after he swapped it.... This **** if so ****ed up......

Im glad i got an old car....screw this new ****....Its all cause of ****in ford that bought out mazda...they screw everything up!!!
                          Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                          Beige 1994 Protege DX
                          Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

hate to correct you again, but Ford had vested interest in Mazda before your protege was even made!!!

Comment

The 3rd gen DX's have the wire for the tachometer, i know on mine it does, i just don't have the tach. I believe it is a purple wire? So you can swap out the cluster. I found one at a junkyard with 45,000 miles on it, give or take a few, and my car is at 38,984 so I might go pick it up and just wait until teh mileage is right.
                              2000 DX, Blue
                              Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
                              2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

Working...
                              X