Newbie Help Needed For 2001 Speaker Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Help Needed For 2001 Speaker Replacement

So I just ditched my old beater (1990 Chev Corsica) for a nice 2001 Protege LX 2.0....

Now I need to install some new speakers in the car since my Kenwood MP3 Deck is killing the stock speakers, not to mention my poor ears...

Now I know 6x9's go in the back... problem is, from the trunk I can only see the screw threads. Seems I need to get to them from the inside... What is the best way to get at these? I am a complete dolt when it comes to cars, so I don't wanna start ripping stuff out without a little guidance.

As for the fronts, what is the best way to get at the door speakers?

I am also confused as to what goes in the doors... Future shop seems to think 6x8's go in there, and Derand Audio thinks 5x7's.... Which one's are stock???

I have some Pioneers for the back already, but will need to buy some fronts...

I was thinking the Infinity 6x8's at the front (only one model right now)... And the Infinity 6x9's at the back (100w RMS) once I get the cash...

Anyone have any input for those speakers??? I'd go with Alpine, but they don't make 6x8's and I'd like to match the speakers if at all possible....

Sorry for all the (most likely) dumb questions...

rear deck removal is pretty easy.
    1) unfasten the center seat belt from the bass, where the back and bottom of the seats meet. there's a small rectangular opening in the part that holds the belt (looks similar to where the belt buckle fastens to) and push in on the inside piece to release the belt.
    2) fold your back seats down.
    3) remove the 5 circle fasteners from the bottom front edge. you have to pull t smaller center circle out before the whole thing pops out.
    4) lift up on the front edge of the deck to pop the fasteners loose that are on the bottom side of the deck then pull the deck forward a little.
    5) slide the side seat belts to the outside of the deck to remove them.
    6) look under the rear deck and either disconnect the wiring for the 3rd brake light, or push the tabs on the 3rd brake light to get it to pop up over the rear deck so you can disconnect the wiring that way.
    7) force the middle seat belt through the hole in the rear deck it's going through.
    8) take the deck out of the car.

front doors are also pretty easy:
    thankfully i don't have to give step by step instructions:

download the word doc.

you can convert your front doors to 5.25's or 6.5's.

Comment

Thanks for the rear deck instructions... It was super easy and now I have some 'passable' sound until I buy my Alpine 6x9 S series

Comment

Working...
      X