Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year did the crappy paint end on Proteges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What year did the crappy paint end on Proteges?

I thought the last year of the lousy paint that peeled or got ugly ended with the first generations in 1994. Now I see a 95 with the same problem. My 94 didn't get that problem as fast but only because it was white. It didn't attract the hot Florida sun as much as the darker colors. However, almonst no first gens escaped the peeling that happens sooner or later in our kind of scorching summer sun. Yes, I know there are exceptions but it's all in where you park, waxing and other factors. Other cars don't need TLC and still last. I did, however, take fairly good care of my paint but no wax and it still lasted well. What was the first year with good paint? Well, assuming it did get better. You can't use a 2003 as an example because ofcourse it's still going to look good.

my 2003.5 paint sucks donkey man tackle... the hood and tail of my car seem to be fading way quicker than the sides. I need to discuss this with my dealer onthe next oil change appt.
    'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
    -Dean
    2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
    18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
    Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
    MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
    Injen CAI - Polished
    Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
    DaveB trim rings
    Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
    Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
    Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
    Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
    Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
    Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
    Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
    Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Say it isn't so. That's got to be a fluke. Maybe something happened during your particular car's painting. Either that or in 2003 they started with a new paint or paint process that also sucks and that's the result. Let's see what anyone else says.

Comment

I have lighter color red than in 92 but not really faded, most 1st gens i've seen have been okay

92 Protege DX - Sold.
        91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
        95 Ford Contour GL - Crashed.
        96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
        90 Honda Accord LX - Sold.
        98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Originally posted by txkprotege
          I have lighter color red than in 92 but not really faded, most 1st gens i've seen have been okay
          Maybe it's a Florida thing. Maybe it's the humidity that's coupled to the very hot summers. Texas doesn't see the humidity we have. I wonder what else, if not that. I'm not saying it's most first gens, either. It's just disproportionately bad with Proteges compared to other cars. The lighter the car, the less the problem.

Comment

Probably, I know the bumpers here do fade a lot. Humidity affects the paint and sunlight the plastic? My guess

92 Protege DX - Sold.
            91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
            96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
            98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
              it doesn't? have you ever been to houston?
              No, but I work at the airport and Texans and other southern state's residents tell me they're hot or hotter than we are but that there isn't as much humidity.

every red 1st gen I've seen looks beat to **** and the paint is completely nasty, so I have no idea wtf you're talking about most of the ones I've seen with OK paint are the green, gray, blue, and white ones
              Mine was white and did not peel or look too bad until the crash. Even the green ones go bad here. The light blues and gray fare really good like the white ones also when it comes to fading but that peeling gets them sooner or later. It even started happening to my dad's 94 white MPV. It's the same white that was on my 94 Protege.
              Last edited by mannydingo; 05-04-2005, 08:30 AM.

Comment

every red 1st gen I've seen looks beat to **** and the paint is completely nasty, so I have no idea wtf you're talking about

most of the ones I've seen with OK paint are the green, gray, blue, and white ones
                Every red one I've ever seen around here had a hood that has faded and peeled as well, my hood's in the same condition as the car. I'd think it had been kept in a garage but that wouldn't explain the ****ty condition of the body.

92 Protege DX - Sold.
                91 Dodge Dakota - Sold.
                96 Dodge Caravan - Sold.
                98 Mazda 626 LX - DD.

Comment

my 95's goldish color sucks ass! clear coat is peeling off by the day. had a couple of scratches and when the car was driven to New York from California they quickly rusted. I'm thinking about getting a paint job soon if I keep the car.
                  1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
                  www.mazdaforum.com
                  www.msprotege.com

HONDA

http://members.cardomain.com/bogey883

Comment

I just don't see how on a 100% humidity day in houston is less humid than florida on the same day
                    It's the same 100% for both places, obviously. I can only imagine the people I've talked to that travel here mean that it's humid here more often than there. In other words we have more of those 100% type days. I don't know if they know what they're talking about. It doesn't matter.............whatever.

Comment

My 99 silver paint is holding up very well after 6 years. I haven't done any super special care with it either.
                      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Yeah, but not only is six years not that bad but silver is also a lighter color that attracts the sun less. I hope it's a good paint, though, on your 99. Man, at that time it seemed everyone was getting their car in gray or silver. Up until about 3 years ago that was the case.

Comment

My 323 is Laguna Blue.. and the paint is still perfect... i just wish there wasnt as many scratches lol or dings

Comment

Both my wife and I still think it's the best looking color for the body style. The blue they added with the mp3 is a close second.
                            My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                            JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                            AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                              Both my wife and I still think it's the best looking color for the body style. The blue they added with the mp3 is a close second.
                              whats that the laguna blue?

Comment

Working...
                              X