some questions about seats, swaps, and sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some questions about seats, swaps, and sound

I found a 1997 Protege DX with 128k miles on Criagslist for $2,000. It's in absolutely immaculate clean condition with very little imperfections... just the way my cars HAVE to be. The only problem with the car is a large tear in the vinyl side of the driver's seat, that and the previous owner is a big guy and the seat is not as supportive as I would like. I'm also lost without a center console/armrest. I was able to scavange an armrest at a junkyard for my now deceased Civic DX and it served me well, and unfortunately the DX I'm buying does not have an armrest.

I searched the archives and I couldn't find the answer to this exact question. Is it possible to swap seats from a different Mazda model into my car? Do the seat rails match up? I was hoping that I could find a tan cloth seat from a 626, 929 or similiar with a fold-down armrest built into the seat and just swap it onto the existing seat rails.

Also, I'm going to be installing fairly deep speakers into the doors, are there any specific clearance issues that I should be worried about? I've also got a set of 6x9 speakrs that I'm hoping will fit with little fuss into the rear deck, any input on this is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

I am not entirely 100% sure, but I am not aware of other Mazda seats that directly fit into our Protege. I have heard of MX-3 seats being fitted in, but that required modifications to one of the rails. Arm rests in our cars are pretty rare, however, if you look around www.carparts.com, or look on eBay occasionally, they do pop up once in a while. Lastly, as far as speakers go. For the front, you would want speakers that are not deep, and in the back, 6x9s should bolt right in. Goodluck.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

did the DX's not have armrests? is that something they changed in 97? as far as seats . . . you should be able to find a seat out of another 2nd gen eventually.

Comment

i went to www.car-part.com for my center console and for my rear trunk garnish but turbonium is right, they do pop up on ebay once in a while. i found a couple on ebay after buying mine on www.car-part.com. what i was told about the MX-3 seats was that you would need to drill an extra hole (either front or back) on the seat rail for the seat rail to accept the MX-3 seats.
        Last edited by beetle_orange; 05-05-2005, 11:29 AM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

When I went to the junkyard in '04 I tried to see if different mazda seats would fit into our second gen cars. 626, 3rd gen pros and 1st gen pro seats will not fit into our cars. I didn't try the 929 though.

And the 98 dx editions of the proteges did not come with an armrest, just has an area for change. If you don't find it on craigslist or ebay your best bet would be to go to a local junkyard and pull one from an lx or es. That's what I did. Got a total of three armrests from the junkyard but i sold them all.

I also heard the mx-3 seat sits kinda low compared to our seats.

Why don't you just swap another 2nd gen seat into your car?
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

I think the center arm-rest was a dealer installed option, or might have come on ES models only (perhaps not all years).
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Ok sorry to bump an old thread,but I didnt wanna start a new one. I have a '97 protege dx and I really want a center console with a armrest. I checked on www.car-part.com and ebay ,but I couldnt find it. I would just go to the junkyard,but around here they no longer allow you to walk in and take parts out of the vehical,so is there any place i can get this part?
              Originally posted by Kitty
              3 tears probably wont be that visible when installed greatly asseverated by me fingering them in the pics
              Originally posted by almighty4wd
              .......Dude. You own an ECONOBOX. It is not a racecar....

Comment

What color. I have some in stock.

and why not just create a want to buy thread!
                Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                Originally posted by HopelessCow
                there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

hmm i guess i should,cuz that would be alot easier than bumping old threads-lol. i have a tan interior so i need that tan-lol there was only one tan color for interior right?
                  3 tears probably wont be that visible when installed greatly asseverated by me fingering them in the pics

Comment

i swapped a console with armrest in my 95 DX =] and i got an LX cluster with RPM's =]

Comment

wait-do i have to swap the entire center console or does the armrest thing jus sit in that change holder? either way im definately looking for one

Comment

want to buy thread posted

Comment

You can just use a 2nd gen seat. They're all the same as far as mounting. However the seatbelt receivers were changed between a few years so you will need to reuse your receivers. Its a 17mm bolt to get them off. Also the fabric pattern has changed but you should know that.
                          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                          |.....Overnight....................| ||
                          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

but...wait i dont need a seat-lol i really want that box thing that holds sh** on the center console behind the e-brake. also i am ashamed to say that i did not know that the patterns changed

Comment

Working...
                            X