Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-Tranny on BP

Gro did this didn't he?
    I remember hearing something about this.

Just wanted more info to know if it is possible, and if it takes alot of work or if it is a simple bolt up like the G series.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

It will bolt right up, but you need a flywheel and clutch from a SOHC. ...Possibly the throw out bearing, too. I'm going to keep my Fseries gearbox when I put my DOHC engine in. I like the taller gears.

...Especially since I found somewhere on one of the forums that the 626 5th gear is in the Fseries gearbox. Means I don't have to swap the gears!
    Bryan
    MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
    Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Originally posted by zenilder
      I like the taller gears.

My reasoning as well.
      Another thing I thought of was that since we would in theory be using the F series, then we dont need some of the other common things for the swap...... LX axels, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, and speedo cable. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ok so theoretically, using the existing F series gearbox, All I would then need for the swap is the long block, ecu, and harness?

Thats a much simpler job.

I know there are probably some unforseen chuckholes I will run into. Anyone know of any, or have a good idea as to why this setup will not work? Keep in mind I know the F series is weak as crap, but I (someday future plans) want to strengthen the gearbox, straight cut the gears, and shot peen them.

Comment

It will bolt right up, but you need a flywheel and clutch from a SOHC. ...Possibly the throw out bearing, too.
        By SOHC you mean 323, or DX?
        Is there even a difference between the 1.8 and the 1.6 flywheel/clutch

Comment

SOHC as in the B8, (1.8L)
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

If you need a F tranny, I have one for sale that i'll sell ya.

I even have the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing.

The trans is in exc shape w/ 70k miles on it. Lemme know y0..its been lyin in my garage for like 5 months now.
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by FESTIVAS RULE
              If you need a F tranny, I have one for sale that i'll sell ya.

I even have the clutch, flywheel and throwout bearing.

The trans is in exc shape w/ 70k miles on it. Lemme know y0..its been lyin in my garage for like 5 months now.
              Just make sure you ship it with the large bubble wrap and not the foam paper. :D
              Bryan
              MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Comment

The F25-MR trannies have been known to explode with use in the DOHC and GTX swaps. I would only do the 5th gear swap from the tranny into the DOHC tranny.
                -Braden
                '05 WRX

GTX Groupbuy is Closed! However you can still pick up a GTX motor for only $925!!! PM me for order details!

Comment

Originally posted by turboge
                  The F25-MR trannies have been known to explode with use in the DOHC and GTX swaps. I would only do the 5th gear swap from the tranny into the DOHC tranny.

Yeah. I've heard of this problem. It's usually the diff that gives out first. If that is what will happen down the road with my swap, I'll just pop for the MSP LSD. That'll also give me a reason to replace the seals in the gearbox, too.
                  Bryan
                  MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Comment

Yeah. I've heard of this problem. It's usually the diff that gives out first. If that is what will happen down the road with my swap, I'll just pop for the MSP LSD. That'll also give me a reason to replace the seals in the gearbox, too.
                    and get AAA if you don't already

Comment

MSP / Quaffe LSD slapped on the end there would be sweet. May have to spring for that too. I want to see if I can make the tranny stand up to the bp. I figure keep it N/A for a while ought to help keep the tranny from going boom.

Here are my plans, please tell me if there are any areas that either dont make sense, or will cause problems.

get bp, lightweight flywheel, ACT clutch, LX ecu
                      swap all in on the F series tranny

run this for a while. I figure with the higher final drive, the light flywheel, and the light 2300 lbs or so 323, I will be decently fast for not too much.

I want to know will I need the harness out of an LX, or does the BP plug into the existing wires of the 323?

Comment

IIRC a lighter flywheel leads to more problems
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                          IIRC a lighter flywheel leads to more problems
                          How so? I figured that less weight for the tranny to throw around and that would mean less stress on the tranny.

Added with the ACT clutch, I figured that it would be able to stand up for a while.

Comment

a lightened flywheel will dramatically accent the effect of engine braking due to less flywheel inertia - this constant stress is very bad if you have a dubious transmission.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan
                              a lightened flywheel will dramatically accent the effect of engine braking due to less flywheel inertia - this constant stress is very bad if you have a dubious transmission.....
                              Thats what I figured. Going from stress of moving 30lbs to stress of moving 10lbs or so. Anything else I might could do to try to lessen the stress on the tranny?

Comment

Working...
                              X