smoother acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoother acceleration

i think i've decided on the direction i want my protege to go...
    smoother...
    i'm not necessarily looking for 'faster', i just want it to have more...uh... for lack of better term (more like knowledge), punch.

i want a less choppy restricted feeling when accelerating...

anyone have any good ideas on directions to go for this?
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

You need more torque. Which is at a premium with our little 4 bangers. If it seems like your engine 'surges' unevenly at any point over the rev range, do a normal tuneup to see if that helps. Plugs, wires, filters. Another thing you can do is make sure your grounds are good connections on bare metal. You can make one of those hyper-ground kits and that will make everything smoother if you had a bad ground before.
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

I have no clue what you mean.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
        I have no clue what you mean.

Ditto

Comment

i think hes talking about how the car sometimes hesitates before it takes off maybe? or perhaps he needs a turbo and cant articulate that thought

Comment

i think he wants the car when he puts the gas down to get up and throw him in the trunk

i think...
            No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex
              i think he wants the car when he puts the gas down to get up and throw him in the trunk

i think...
              but dont we all? i mean who doesnt want to be like *green-light* "holy ****...my balls are behind me!"

Comment

i'm confused? what is it that you want?
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

funny thing is, i don't really know what i'm talking about either...
                  compared to a majority of you, i know practically nothing...
                  annnyway,
                  i've really only driven my car for about 5 minutes total in the past 3 months (license suspension), and when i did that, it was around the neighborhood testing my new front brakes...
                  it felt really choppy and slow...

probably because of not being used much...

might be the stock intake too, because i just remembered this problem was just starting right before i got suspended...

i think i'll wait until i install the CAI to worry about it...

and yeah, i think a regular tuneup would be a really good idea...
                  any specifics for parts... ?
                  i pretty much know to avoid fram filters, but i hear i need to be cautious of certain spark plugs too...

i seem to remember my car having much more 'punch' when i got it...
                  justin
                  Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
                  installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

ok it sounds like you just want a more even powerband,

An intake will help, I use NGK copper plugs, why not look into getting bigger spark plug wires also?

So his engine he goosed

Comment

An intake is NOT going to help even the powerband. It's going to give you more top-end, which you already have, and rob a little of the bottom end. He he wanted the acceleration to be less 'choppy'. The less low-end you have, the longer you're going to wait to have to get into the powerband, and when you do, it'll feel kinda choppy when you start to accelerate.

A drop-in k&n will give you a little better breathing on the top and bottom ends (but doesn't provide nearly the gains of an open cone filter)

As for tune-up parts, the OEM type plugs and wires (NGK), just like Protoss has. I'd also reccommend changing out your transmission fuild with a synthetic like redline to make your gearbox feel like butter... Or stlightly frozen butter

You can also get oversized oil filters to fit on the engines. They do nothing for performance, but they can efficiently filter longer than a smaller unit.
                      Dan
                      dreesemonkey

Comment

are the "performance" plug wires they sell at autozone good? who's the best option for plug wires
                        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I run NGK copper plugs, so i went for the NGK 9mm wiring.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

it was wil or adam, i can't remember, had some freaky plug wires with inline capacitors.. at any rate, ignore that. nothing you buy at autozone that isn't oem is going to do you any good IMO. 9mm NGK's are good, stick with oem ngk's spark plugs... don't go out and throw those denso-irridium plugs or bosch platinum +4's in, won't do you any good. i hate to say it, but from what i've experienced, and from what i've heard, most of the intake and exhaust systems do nothing but rob your low end to an extent, so acceleration up to say 3,000 is greatly unaffected, in otherwords isn't any better by adding...by intakes or exhaust systems. however, anything over 3,000 is greatly IMPROVED upon doing these things. i have no clue, i'm mainly talking out of my ass right now.. sorry affects of late night thinking. good luck
                            peace

Comment

I too have a "choppy" acceleration, but that's because of my weird-looking shifter, and no clutch pedal! On the shifter, instead of 1,2,3,4,5,R, its got P,R,N,D,2,1. After some horrible screeching that resulted from me trying to shift, I no longer have what I thought was first gear. Anyway, I think I've got the hang of it, but I can't find fifth! What gives!?!?

jk jk.... Anyway, intake, exhaust, all good ideas. Ground wire seems to work well for some.
                              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                              X