Door lock actuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock actuator

After my back driver's door wouldn't power lock/unlock and developed a grinding sound on top of that, I took it to the dealership. They told me it was the door lock actuator and asked for some insane amount to order a new one and replace it. I've decided I want to try to find one from a junkyard and install it myself.

First off, has anyone had this problem and fixed it themselves?

Is removing the back door panel pretty much the same as removing the front?

Does anyone even know what the actuator is like? Is it a piece that can just be pulled out and replaced, or is there more to it? Like soldering or something.

Thanks for any help.
    '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

I'm sure it's a very easy job. unbolt old, bolt on new. you will need to remove a connecting rod or 2, but they are easy. The rear panel, removes the same way the front does.

the actuator is about the size of a deck of cards, black with an accordian type boot on the shaft and a connecting rod at the end.

Comment

Re: Door lock actuator

Originally posted by Esquire
      After my back driver's door wouldn't power lock/unlock and developed a grinding sound on top of that, I took it to the dealership. They told me it was the door lock actuator and asked for some insane amount to order a new one and replace it. I've decided I want to try to find one from a junkyard and install it myself.

First off, has anyone had this problem and fixed it themselves?

Is removing the back door panel pretty much the same as removing the front?

Does anyone even know what the actuator is like? Is it a piece that can just be pulled out and replaced, or is there more to it? Like soldering or something.

Thanks for any help.
      I have the same exact problem except its on the passnegers side back door!
      My OLD Car

Comment

I think Im moving in that direction.
        My rear passanger door has started to make a grinding noise.
        Hope it doesnt get any worse.

Comment

go to circuit city. They sell them for alarms for $20 see if that will work for you.
          Sagaris

Comment

Thanks for the help guys and gals (foxy)

I'll look further into it this weekend.
            '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

Comment

Well when I got my alarm, I wanted the automatic /power door locks. And that was the one that came with the alarm. Im not sure it might be too simple compared to the stock one but for $20 its worth a look
              Sagaris

Comment

another 99 ES! yea! not many on here, it seems. Good luck with the door issue. Never had any issues with mine at all.

Q: do you really have a dixie horn?
                My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
                X