oil pan drain plug stripped, need help asap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pan drain plug stripped, need help asap

I have a p5 and went to change my oil today. i was roughly a quart low and found that odd. well when i got under my car to drain the oil i noticed oil had been leaking out of my drain plug. it took no effort to break loose and it came out like usuall. afteri got all the oil out i went to put it back in and i started screwing it in as normal. it went all the way in with my hand, so i got out the racket to torque it on and it wouldn't ever tighen up, now i can get it off, it just spinns in either direction. how can i get it off without having to take the oil pan out???
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Try pulling it out without spinning it. A thin screwdriver might be useful. Not that it matter that much, but be carefull not to damage it even more. Is it still able to hold the oil in without major leakage?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
    -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

its a very slow leak right now.
      '02 classic red p5

Comment

we were able to pry it out while spinning it. once we got it abut a 1/4 in out, the remaining threads cout and it came right out. i want and bought a new drain plug, i put it in and it took some effort to get it back in so i'm affraid its cross threaded. half was in a took it back out and it looked fine, and when i put it back in, it went in easy so we will see. but atleast it holds oil without a leak
        '02 classic red p5

Comment

If you ever have that problem again, RoboGrips made by Craftsman are a great tool, that's how I had to get my stripped one off.
          03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

just make sure you replace the aluminum washer as well that may help with the leak

Comment

Working...
            X