Another brake and suspension conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another brake and suspension conversion

Tommorow, my buddy and I are going to bolt up my Mazdaspeed suspension and brake package. I'll post some before, after, and even progress pics if you'd like. I'm looking forward to doing this, but a little bit gunshy due to the fact that I've never been this far into a suspension before. It'll be worth it in the end. Heres a before pic:
    Attached Files
    2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Front view

Heres a before front view:
    Attached Files
    2003 Protege LX 2.0 (BJFP) Sport package (New motor at 24,885 miles on 5/26/05), 5 Speed. Black Mica.

Mods: Mazdaspeed front bumper/foglight conversion, Cold Air Intake w/ K&N filter, OBX header with sport muffler, Full Mazdaspeed suspension with 5-lug/ 4-disc conversion and Racing Beat upgraded sway-bars, "E" level bushing kit, 2.25 inch trimmed Sprint Performance lowering springs, Mazdaspeed strut tower brace, smoked tails, Short shifter, Corksport clutch hose, black pearl emblem kit, Silverstar headlights, and limo tint

Future mods include: DGM carbon fiber grille and air dam, 2003 Mazdaspeed spoiler and side sills, Corksport full exhaust, grounding kit and then hmmm...turbo?

Comment

And here's what I'm bolting up...
      Attached Files

Comment

Pics of progress

Okay here's some pics of the big day. What do you guys think?
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. Im totally about to redo the back with a speed sway bar. But first I need to iron out my carputer problems. As well as all the other unfinished stuff I have.

Is it a huge diffrence in handeling? More balanced out and I dont just mean because of the wider tires.

Comment

Huge difference!!!!! I mean HUGE!!! Mainly the flat high-speed cornering has improved. It gave me a big rush as I tried to make the car break loose on an 80 mile an hour turn, and I couldn't get it to. Instead of bouncing after every bump, it feels as smooth as when I had completely stock suspension, and yet it sits so right with my trimmed Sprint performance lowering springs. (I wanted more drop than the MSP lowering springs would give me). Special thanks to my buddies Ian and Jason for helping me with my swap. TheMan is correct in his FAQ though, my drum brakes did stop quicker and feel better than the 4-wheel disc.

Comment

I really wish it was that easy. Mazda has used B26K-43-900 for the only proportioning valve from 2001 to 2003 for sedan/ Protege5/ 2-wheel and 4-wheel disc for all non-ABS brake systems. If you know of a prop valve from another application let me know. I understand where your coming from in saying that they should be different, I feel that they should be different as well, but they are indeed the same.

Comment

where did you buy the conversion form??? the dealer????
                .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                225.94wtq
                torque monster!!!!
                dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

No. I am the dealer. I bought it off of ebay. The car had about 10k miles on it when it was wrecked. The parts looked so new they weren't even dirty.

Comment

what did you pay for it all???
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I got a pretty decent deal on it. 500 bucks complete, and had to drive about 450 miles each way to pick it up. I'd say it was worth it. Plus the only thing I had to buy was 2 bottles of brake fluid and the 4 additional lug nuts. If any of you are planning on doing this swap, the best advice that I have for you is, make sure you purchase it COMPLETE. Don't try to do this in pieces. Here is a link to my buddies post on Mazda3club.com about this swap... http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?t=39939

Comment

Wow Edwin you are a wealth of information. How do you know all these interchanges? Are you a parts man?

Comment

He's actually the devil.
                          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

TheMan: I purchased a MSP brake upgrade kit from SPD Racing a few months back, and after a lot of trial and error (on SPD's part, not mine) -- wrong calipers / rotors twice, I finally got what I thought was a good set of rotors and calipers. At least they fit and I could install them. After seeing REAL MSP brakes, I realized (now) that I what SPD sent me must be an "approximation" of the MSP brakes. Anyway, after installing (and swapping out the brake lines for stainless steel brake lines) and bleeding the brakes, and odd thing became apparent -- my brakes were TERRIBLE. I mean, I had to pump them like crazy to get any sort of stopping power. When they finally DID bite, ABS kicked in. Oh yeah, the car pulls to the left now too. From your post about the proportioning valve, I'm assuming I need to swap it out? How much does one of these run? Are we talking $50, $100, $150? Am I just better off returning the whole setup to SPD?

Comment

sick setup

Dude, totally sick, nice kit...!

Comment

Working...
                              X