What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

I currently own a 02 P5 and in the process of replacing my front speaker to a component speakers. I'm having a dilemma whether to change the speaker to 6.5 or 5x7. I was told that 6.5 will sound better than 5x7, but 6.5 require me to get a bracket (which I don't know where to get), and some trimming to do. Do you guys think I should better off with 5x7? or have audio installation guy trim the inside (assuming they have the bracket?)

Thanks

You shouldn't need a bracket... mine fit in just fine anyway on a 2003 LX sedan, if they don't just cut a spacer ring out of wood that will bump them out half an inch or so. The interior door panel sits out from the metal enough that it'll work just fine. And yes, I would get the 6.5's if I could.

Comment

you need an adapter plate to put 5.25's or 6.5's in the front doors. you can make one if you have a jig saw. or you can have a shop make some decent wooden ones for relatively cheap. don't waste your money on the plastic crap ones. they aren't rigid enough, and the vibrations effect the sound.

Comment

Its so funny when it comes to sound systems. I always consider it a black art of soundwaves because there is no telling if it is going to be for better or for worst.

Many many times have seen people installing big insane amplifiers, woofers and spend tons of $$$ and go with the most respectful brand cause is goin to sound better than anybody's.

Sound vary from car to car.

I have always been a big fan of bazookas cause of the tremendous bass and bang for the buck ratio. SPeaker size dont really matter much. I do would give my point on using if possible CAT5 shielded cable for the wiring and good ground system and a CAP to have everything stable and juicing that AMP when on demand. A crossover will help to level high and lows and to control the output accordingly.

But I would stay with the 5x7 and then compensate in the back with some 3 ways 6x9 etc.

In my vehicle the front speakes are Pioneer, by themselves they are not great, but as a complete package sounds awesome. good luck buddy and have a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo
          Its so funny when it comes to sound systems. I always consider it a black art of soundwaves because there is no telling if it is going to be for better or for worst.

Many many times have seen people installing big insane amplifiers, woofers and spend tons of $$$ and go with the most respectful brand cause is goin to sound better than anybody's.

Sound vary from car to car.

I have always been a big fan of bazookas cause of the tremendous bass and bang for the buck ratio. SPeaker size dont really matter much. I do would give my point on using if possible CAT5 shielded cable for the wiring and good ground system and a CAP to have everything stable and juicing that AMP when on demand. A crossover will help to level high and lows and to control the output accordingly.

But I would stay with the 5x7 and then compensate in the back with some 3 ways 6x9 etc.

In my vehicle the front speakes are Pioneer, by themselves they are not great, but as a complete package sounds awesome. good luck buddy and have a good weekend.

normally i'm not a dick on this forum, since i'm a super moderator, but

while each person does hear differently, experienced people can tell if upgrading or changing something will be better or worse, before it is done. nothing odd or black art about it.

sounds do very from car to car, but if it's your car, you should know the characteristics. when it comes to the 3rd gen protege, i know more than most, cause i've used such a variety of equipment in my old protege.

bazooka is only marginally better than sony, which i regard very low.

size does matter, quite a bit, especially with full range drivers, but only in the low end of their response. when it comes to subwoofers, it's all about displacement, rather than size.

while you can use CAT5 cable, it's far better to use coax cable, if you are a DIYer. read and learn.

a cap only helps if it has ultra low ESR and ESL, and if the connetions are of the lowest resistance. any added resistance from the connectors and wiring can hurt the system, especially if you break the main power line to add in the cap.

x-overs don't level out the highs and lows. EQ's do. x-overs just limit what frequencies get to what driver.

3-ways in the back would just deter from the front sound stage.

Comment

Working...
          X