Question About Tints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Tints

I have a few things planned for my protege in the future, possibly before the end of summer depending on cash flow and the such. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about tints. I'm going to shop around and find places in my area that do it, and find prices, what price range should i be looking for, i just dont want to get jipped.
    Also, for opinion, what % do you think would look good, i've seen darker colored cars with tint darker than the paint, and in my opinion, looked horrible.
    Lastly, are there different colored tints? I see alot with a purple color in them, and i just wanted to avoid it, i just want a black color, is there a certain name for that, or is it just black tint?
    Thanks for the help guys!

Mods:
    JDM Headlights + Corners
    JDM Tailights
    1st Gen LX Black Wheels
    Shaved Side Mouldings
    Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
    Cone Filter
    KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
    E-Bay front strut bar
    Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
    40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
    and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Limo tint is what you're looking for.
    Post pics of your car so that we could have an idea of what would look nice on it.
    Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
    you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

could be of help

also off topic, i need to get new pics, sicne these i've shaved my door mouldings, and gotten some JDM tailights on =)

Mods:
      JDM Headlights + Corners
      JDM Tailights
      1st Gen LX Black Wheels
      Shaved Side Mouldings
      Cone Filter
      E-Bay front strut bar

Comment

yeah pls post new pictures of your ride.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

The purple tint is what happens when you use cheap tints and they fade. When you go to the shops, find out if they offer warrentees against fading. Where do you live in ct? where have you looked cause i'm looking to do the same for my ES and my p5. For my ES, I was thinking 35% on the fronts, 20 on the rears and hte p5 would get 35% all the way around, but maybe with silver/reflective to match the paint. If you find a good shop, let me know, and viseversa
          Thanks for noticing me
          Alpha pro- 02 MP5, bling free
          Beta Pro- 98 pro es, aka slowburn

Comment

check out local laws, as can be seen in this old thread by bruce who ran into asshole cops

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...ight=tint+laws

ct tint laws
            95 ES
            05 S60R

Comment

I'm in clinton, dead center shorline, incase you never heard of us and our oh so wonderful clinton crossings outlets =P what about you? there are a few local places that do it, and a few of my friends have gone there, and it has held up well, and looks good. thanks for the advice so far. and i will be getting new pics, and maybe a video soon too, me and my friends are having a photoshoot for my car, and starting our videoclass's final video project, so stay tuned

Mods:
              JDM Headlights + Corners
              JDM Tailights
              1st Gen LX Black Wheels
              Shaved Side Mouldings
              Cone Filter
              E-Bay front strut bar

Comment

Originally posted by JZProwler
                I have a few things planned for my protege in the future, possibly before the end of summer depending on cash flow and the such. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about tints. I'm going to shop around and find places in my area that do it, and find prices, what price range should i be looking for, i just dont want to get jipped.
                Also, for opinion, what % do you think would look good, i've seen darker colored cars with tint darker than the paint, and in my opinion, looked horrible.
                Lastly, are there different colored tints? I see alot with a purple color in them, and i just wanted to avoid it, i just want a black color, is there a certain name for that, or is it just black tint?
                Thanks for the help guys!
                "purple tint" was actually black which turned purple. this happens with cheep tints if getting black tint go the extra step and spend a few more bux to get good tint that will not fade
                I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                |.....Overnight....................| ||
                |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I have 5% black tints on mine (illegal over here in NZ) but looks by far the best in my opinion.(Not sure of the legalities over where you are)- Any other colours look tacky i reckon. I had mirror tints but they look ricey and don't complement the car very well. The 5%'s are great for security reasons aswell (i.e can't see in your car very well at night times etc . . . (ohh and for those back seat occassions )

Comment

yea, cops around here are a real pain in the ass about tints...or anything on your car...whenever someone gets tints put on we make bets on how long it takes them to get pulled over and checked...the longest has been 4 days =\. the only thing im concerned about is that i dont want the tints darker than the car...lighter colored cars can have dark tints, since it obviously wont match, but still looks good...but darker cars can look kinda weird if the tint is darker than the paint, you know?

Mods:
                    JDM Headlights + Corners
                    JDM Tailights
                    1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                    Shaved Side Mouldings
                    Cone Filter
                    E-Bay front strut bar

Comment

i have 20% in the rear doors and rear windscreen
                      and 35% in the front doors and sunstrip

Comment

Originally posted by goodorange
                        check out local laws, as can be seen in this old thread by bruce who ran into asshole cops

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...ight=tint+laws

ct tint laws

Can't stress this point enough. Our local version of the Hazzard County Sheriff's Office (also known as Mounties ) have actually made tint offences a zero tolerence divisional priority...$180 and 4 points!! no warnings!

Comment

here is mine with 20% all around. i like how it looks. nice and clean.
                          i work at auto trim design so i get my windows tinted free but you can look forward to paying 2-300 $ for a good tint job.
                          1997 mazda Protege LX -4 12" subs,clarion DVD player,clarion H/U
                          1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.
                          1993 Ford Probe GT -New project.
                          advertisement car:1993 acura NSX ,widebody kit,lambo orange paint,etc.
                          new advertisement car-1991 nissan 300ZX TT

Comment

Originally posted by eeyoresride
                            The purple tint is what happens when you use cheap tints and they fade. When you go to the shops, find out if they offer warrentees against fading. Where do you live in ct? where have you looked cause i'm looking to do the same for my ES and my p5. For my ES, I was thinking 35% on the fronts, 20 on the rears and hte p5 would get 35% all the way around, but maybe with silver/reflective to match the paint. If you find a good shop, let me know, and viseversa
                            and in most states reflective tint is just as illegal as limo tint, so you might want to check that aswell
                            1997 mazda Protege LX -4 12" subs,clarion DVD player,clarion H/U
                            1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.
                            1993 Ford Probe GT -New project.
                            advertisement car:1993 acura NSX ,widebody kit,lambo orange paint,etc.
                            new advertisement car-1991 nissan 300ZX TT

Comment

The purple effect is from cheap tint but also when you use an ammonia based type window cleaner. Try to avoid those because it speeds up the process. The darkest I would go is 20%. Cops may still give you some lip about it. 35% is too light for me in the summer. If you are getting it done professionally you may look around $130 - $160. That is a rough estimate. You may luck up and find something cheaper. Make sure that you get a one piece window in the back. Which means it looks like one peice on the back window. but actually its two peices cut but the cut is on the defroster line. most shops can do that now.if you have any other questions pm me.. I have tinted plenty of cars in the past and now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X