Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picture of 3rd gen upper strut mount & strut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture of 3rd gen upper strut mount & strut?

not much suspension wise is made for 2nd gens...
    im just wondering, can someone post a pic of an upper strut mount for a third gen?

the top view..
    im just curious if i could somehow get a third gen coilover setup to go onto the second gens... even with a bit of work

cause $1000.00 USD for mazdaspeed struts, and $300.00 USD for ground controls
    when thats shipped and converted to canadian, thats around $2000.00

And i mean, its not so much the money... but i gotta order the struts from corksport... and then they'll take a million years to send it over...

if possible, i'd like to get an actual coiloversetup that comes all together, not something i gotta piece together

i dunno, im just curious... can someone help me out here?
    main things i want to see is how the upper strut mount bolts are configured... and how the center rod nut hole is shaped

and if they look interchangable, i'd try to get a pic of the steering knuckle portion
    and if THEY'RE the same... i'd try throwing a factory 3rd gen strut from a junkyard or something on my car to see if it fit

We're both in the same boat. *rumour* has it that the front half of a third gen setup and the rear of a first gen set up will work, but of course that means that you'd have to find both sets and **** with them and worry about spring rates and ****.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

so nobody can help?

Comment

oh c'mon, are you guys gonna make me go have to buy a **** one from a scrap yard

Comment

I don't think the fronts will work IIRC. A friend of mine had a 2nd gen Protege and tried putting my old stock struts/springs on his and it didn't work. The rear may be a different story, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
            I don't think the fronts will work IIRC. A friend of mine had a 2nd gen Protege and tried putting my old stock struts/springs on his and it didn't work. The rear may be a different story, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
            did he try using a second gen upper strut mount for the front? with the third gen strut/spring assembly?

Comment

Straight from my friends mouth:

xxx: if you use the 3rd gen upper mounts the fronts will fit, the rears will not, i think the upper is fine on the rears but the lower mount with the 2 bolts onto the spindle are like .5 inch off.
              xxx: you would have to weld a new 1/8 plate to the sides of the struts and drill new holes
              NEGATiZE: you mean 2nd gen upper strut mounts?
              NEGATiZE: 3rd is my car
              xxx: yeah in the front you need to use the 3rd gen tops
              NEGATiZE: oh
              xxx: te 3rd gene springs are like and inch of not more wider than 2nd gen fronts
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

so the fronts will work if i use the entire 3rd gen front assembly... am I correct??

so no 2nd gen parts are needed for the front at all?

Comment

That's what he says. Let me know if it works.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                  X