Wheel/tire Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel/tire Q

I have a question about washing wheels and cleaning tires. Is there some kind of product that you can put over the wheels to keep overspray from getting onto them when spraying the tires with "wet black" or similar product. Like some kind of shield or something? I saw something like this on Ebay once, but that was sooo long ago. Anyone help me out? Thanks.

Steve O

I don't see the issue in getting overspray on the wheels. You could always just hold a piece of paper between the lip and tire and that should work. If not, Meguires makes a great tire shine. It has an adjustable tip that allows you to spray according to sidewall size. I used to use it with a 35 series tire and it didn't cause overspray. The middle setting which I use now works perfectly on a 45 series tire.

Comment

There is no issue with getting tire shine on the wheels...if anything it captures brake dust and then you can just wipe it off.

At work we use "Flashy Shine", it's in a spray can and it pretty much goes everywhere. The biggest issue with tire shine is to keep it from going all over the paint. Most of the time if it gets on the paint I'll just take a shammy and wipe it off, but you can prevent it by holding a piece of cardboard as you spray around the tire.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

You should be concerned more about the tire tread then wheels too. Don't want to lose traction because of a slick surface.

Comment

I just use eagle one tire/wheel cleaner, it does both.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ive tried using cardboard, paper towels etc when spraying the tire wet stuff on them atfter a good cleaning. It just gets kind of annoying having to re-wipe/clean off the wheels after cleaning them 10-15 mins earlier. I thought there would be an easier way to keep the tire shine on the tire and not the wheel.

About that Meguires tire shine, how would you know when the tip is set for 45, 35, 30 series tire? Is it on the tip somewhere or does it say it somewhere on the instructions on the back of the bottle? The stuff I use now (Eagle One Wet Black) has something like that with an adjustable spray tip, but nothing as far as the series setting tips. About how much does the Meguires tire wet cost?

Comment

It doesn't say sidewall size exactly, but uses three different settings (low, medium, high). From my experience I have figured out that low is perfect for 35, and medium is perfect for 45. I think it is about $7 or so a can.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                You should be concerned more about the tire tread then wheels too. Don't want to lose traction because of a slick surface.
                Erm, any that gets on the tread will come off as you drive, that's not really a concern.

Ofcourse if you purposely sprayed the tread on, say, a Miata or RX-8 then if you happened to hit the gas going around the corner, theoretically you could get it possibly out of shape...but I...uhh...never never ever do that because that is wrong.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

I remember back when I used to do car shows. This guy with a classic Vette shined up all the tread on his tires for the show. He could barely keep the car going straight as he left the lot.

Comment

Yeah, it can make things fun but usually it's just a little slipage and by then you wear off the tire shine and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
                      Erm, any that gets on the tread will come off as you drive, that's not really a concern.

Ofcourse if you purposely sprayed the tread on, say, a Miata or RX-8 then if you happened to hit the gas going around the corner, theoretically you could get it possibly out of shape...but I...uhh...never never ever do that because that is wrong.
                      You should tell that to one of my friends I used to work with who drove a '92 318is... he sprayed tire-wet all over his tread after I warned him not to. He backed out of his parking space and slid into the fence that went around the dumpsters leaving little criss-cross patterns on his bumper
                      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Hah, that's hilarious, but sucks for him...when my brother had my job, he would dump some tire shine on the parking lot and take a Miata and just sit there for a while, or just wait for someone to drive up and try to stop or accelerate. There's 2 wheel holes in the cleaning bay where a lift use to be back in the day, and he would pour some in those and park a B-series truck with the back tires in there and clean the truck like normal, then when the salesman who sold it went to get it out of the cleaning bay he'd watch them just sit there spinning the tires.

He got fired, though for other reasons. I try to respect the tire shine and not spray the tread, but if a salesman keeps me after hours because they sold a car late, I don't mind spraying the tread and watch them peel out in the car right infront of the customer.

Comment

It seems to me the easiest way to deal with your problem would be in two ways:

1. Spray the tire shine on a sponge/applicator away from the car, and apply it to the tire via the sponge/app.
                          2. Get a liquid/gel product and then there's no spraying involved.
                          5spd Maxima SE - SOLD
                          '99 Protege LX 5spd, silver

Comment

Working...
                          X