First gen 1.8 SOHC vs. 3rd gen 2.0 DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First gen 1.8 SOHC vs. 3rd gen 2.0 DOHC

Well, I've been making a conscious effort to drive like a normal person of late, but I had to revert to old habits just one more time Was on my way home from work tonight on a long arterial with 0 traffic, when a 3rd gen with red underglow and farty exhaust merges and starts pacing me. Long story short, we went light to light several times, and I consistently put about a car on him through 3rd gear (both 5 speed's). I'd gain on him early, then at the top of second and through third I'd neither gain nor lose distance. He may have fared better on the highway, had we gone through fourth, but as it stands, it's a win for the sohc Don't get me wrong, I love 3rd gens, and if I was in a position to own one I'd probably jump at the chance. But I just thought this story was worth mentioning, since the first gen SOHC doesn't get a lot of love around here. I don't think it was necessarily on the driver either, since I'm relatively new to the 5 speed myself.

either he cant drive or he wasnt trying. the fsde is def faster then the B8.
    my brother has a 02dx 5-speed, and his car will stay within half-1 car length of my egt. and the sohc is no match for the bp. IMO nice race though!
    1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Well, when someone spins off the line and into second, it's a safe bet he's trying, especially given the nod at the red-light. I'm not sure why there's a perception that because the 3rd gen is 2.0 w/30 more horses, that it's automatically faster. If that were the case then mini-vans and trucks would pwn us all. Consider these figures:

C&D November 2002 tests a 5 speed manual 2.0 @:

0-60: 9.2
      1/4: 17
      1/4 speed: 82mph

In a comparison test a 2.0 automatic runs:

0-60: 10.4
      1/4: 17.7
      1/4 speed: 78.5mph

Those figures are consistent (from different sources no less), as in a car of this class a good manual driver should usually be able to shave about a second off of a 0-60 run. Respectable numbers for the class, but hardly impressive.

Now consider that well driven first gen BP's have been run (stock) at low 16 1/4's. With the sohc losing about 19 hp and 1 lb of torque, I have no reason to believe the 1/4 shouldn't be do-able in high 16's with proportionate 0-60 times. If there was a track anywhere near here I'd take it for a run sometime just for a laugh, but sadly I've no such option

Comment

dont get it twisted buddy, i never go off of "facts" or "numbers". im going off personal expierience.
        but heres a fact for you:

FACT #1 the 3rd gen FS-de 5-speed stock is faster then the stock B8 powered pro's
        FACT #2 a stock 3rd gen will not "spin" its tires all through 1st gear and 2nd. it will burn out nicely, but it can only "chirp" into 2nd, and thats on a good day.
        FACT #3 as you indicated, the car had underbody neons and a fart can....sounds like a ricer to me, so he probably just couldnt drive
        1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Originally posted by T4TURBO
          dont get it twisted buddy, i never go off of "facts" or "numbers". im going off personal expierience.
          I will also speak from personal experience... I owned a 3rd gen with FS-DE for a year and a half, and now I own a 1st gen with B8-ME. My 1st gen feels just BARELY slower than the 3rd gen. Yes, the FS is faster, but not by very much.

Comment

I'm going off personal experience as well. I've owned both an automatic B8 and now a 5 speed B8. I could stay ahead of 2.0 automatics with my former auto, and last night I did the same (repeatedly) to a 5 speed. That, coupled with the numbers, is proof enough for me. Try swapping cars with your 2.0 friend and see if the results are the same.

Also, I didn't mean he spun his tires through first and second. I meant his tires spun into first and into second. It's a moot point anyway. You know when someone's racing and when they're not. Unless you're a former B8 owner and got beat repeatedly by the 2.0, then what's the point in arguing?

I will also speak from personal experience... I owned a 3rd gen with FS-DE for a year and a half, and now I own a 1st gen with B8-ME. My 1st gen feels just BARELY slower than the 3rd gen. Yes, the FS is faster, but not by very much.
            An awd protege is going to be slower than a fwd protege anyway, with exception to launches perhaps. I've no doubt the extra torque of the 2.0 makes it feel swifter around town, but from 0-130 km/h it's (at least in this case) a different story.
            Last edited by Natural; 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM.

Comment

With 105hp there ain't no sech thing as a launch with AWD

Comment

I have a 2.0 manual u can race. come to florida^^

Comment

I'm pretty sure you would win that one... I have a vague feeling there's more under the hood than you're telling us

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    I'm pretty sure you would win that one... I have a vague feeling there's more under the hood than you're telling us
                    It's a MSP
                    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Just dont be stereotypical

Dont inflate your racing ego like a balloon just cause of that.

Just go and try with other cars of the same kind and also Ford Focus SVT, ZX2 and when you get respectable wins maybe you know your car is one of a kind. But for now, I am glad you smoked him, but thats one out of how many other races and what other cars?

Comment

Originally posted by psiturbo
                        Dont inflate your racing ego like a balloon just cause of that.

Just go and try with other cars of the same kind and also Ford Focus SVT, ZX2 and when you get respectable wins maybe you know your car is one of a kind. But for now, I am glad you smoked him, but thats one out of how many other races and what other cars?
                        But I rarely race, and I know the B8 is no racer (which is partially why I rarely race. lol). But Mazda vs. Mazda is always fun, it turned out ok, B8 put in a good performance as the underdog, and good times were had by all. Just from reading up on this board it seems like the B8 is generally described as "the thing you have in your dx before you swap in your BG or >" Fair enough, if you have access to those gems. But they're rare as hell in Canada, so for those of us stuck with the B8, it's not a total loss. If or when a similar opportunity presents itself in the future, I'll post up, win or loss

Comment

meh.
                          ive owned a 90 dx protege. 5-speed. my bro's 02 dx is faster. not by a whole lot...but faster. and yes we have switched cars....heres how it goes: Bp05-------->FSde----->B8.

believe me im not trying to be a jerk or anything...i hate the FS motor. it lack highend power and has rods the size of toothpicks.
                          but the simple fact is that a 3rd gen 2.0 dohc manual is faster then a 1st gen sohc manual. im glad you beat him too, and i always love a mazda on fazda race, but i just dont want you to be msguided and think ur B8 is faster then the fsde
                          Last edited by T4TURBO; 06-01-2005, 11:51 PM.
                          1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
                            It's a MSP
                            I know, that was the point... would be funny to see his face when he showed up and saw what he was up against.

Comment

i raced a 3rd gen monday....light went green i went normal, he punched it, i punched it and pulled about 3 buss lengths on him and laughed...
                              91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.