Rear sway bar enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear sway bar enough?

I want to get sway bars to address my problem with body roll, but the Mazdaspeed ones, which were the only ones available for my car here, are now out of production. Bruce has mentioned on another thread that AWR makes rear ones, and that front ones are a bitch to install anyway. So, assuming the AWR fits my '96 3-door as well, my question is this:

Is a rear stabilizer enough to supress body roll? Will it make a noticeable difference or am I just wasting my money if I don't go for the full set?

Also, has anybody tried changing only the links to those with pillow-ball joints, as well as stiffer bushings, while still retaining stock sway bars? Does a setup like that offer noticeable improvement?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

1996 Mazda Familia NEO BHA8S
    (Protege ES Fastback equivalent)

1.8l BP-ZE engine, lightly tuned.
    Check out my website for details:
    La Sagrada Familia NEO

I'm sure you've thought of it, but I put Intrax springs, new shocks and an oem rear sway bar off a LX...body roll has been cutback and ride quality is still surprisingly pleasent.

Comment

The antisway bar does reduce body roll but the big improvement is that it reduces understeer. and we all know thats the plague of FWD. The antisway bar just balances your car out more.
      sigpic

Comment

i agree with ocd

i havent done any sway bar mod's yet, but i kno tightening the rear suspension will give you more oversteer

which would be good for autocrossing in our cars

Comment

Wasn't sure where to post this but i'll give it a shot. Corksport has a rear stabilzer bar. What exactly is that? Is that a rear sway bar or a rear strut bar? And if I go with the AWR sway bar, will either koni adjustables or mazdaspeed struts work with it? Seeing as how you have the mazdaspeed struts, just wanting your input bruce. I plan on buying suspension parts starting next week. Also, I hear the 95 Protege has a sway bar. Does that mean the AWR sway bar is pointless? And last thing, te antisway bar is used to create oversteer, would you guys think that to be used ideally for street use? Any info is greatly appreciated.
          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Rear stabilizer bar = rear sway bar = rear anti-sway bar = swaybar

Strut brace = strut tower brace

Adding a larger rear swaybar on a FWD car generally reduces understeer and in some cases creates oversteer. What you should try and do is find a balance between the two.

I had the AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar on my car for about a year. Autocrossed with it. It did reduce the body lean significantly, but it was way too tail happy. I oversteered a lot turning into a corner.

I would recommend either the smaller 19mm bar, or if you can find a front and rear set. I now have the Racing Beat front + rear swaybars. A pain in the ass to install the front one, but it was well worth it. The car is practically neutral in most cases.

I have a video of my car back in June of 2003 autoxing with no suspension mods except for the AWR rear sway bar, once I find it I'll post it on here.
            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Ya, I would plan on getting the 19mm stabilizer bar. i mean if it'll help me, I would buy it undoubtly. But since we don't have a front sway bar for our car, we would probably not feel the full impact of sway bars.
              Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

The 95's did have a rear sway bar. . . at least mine does.

Comment

the mazdaspeed struts will work with oem suspension parts as it has the hookups for the rear sway bar. if you do a lot of daily driving i don't see the point in upgrading to a bigger rear sway bar like the awr bar. but if you auto-x then i see the point.

will as far as i know all 95 came w/ a rear sway bar. then 96-98, only the es' came w/ rear sway bar.

and if you don't have a rear sway bar at all, then a rear sway bar would definitely show an improvement.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                  Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

I need that 19mm rear bar on my Protege ...
                    the rear end feels like it wants to flip over on the roof ....
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                    X