How do you convert kgf/mm -> lbs/in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you convert kgf/mm -> lbs/in

As the title says... i cant seem to convert spring rates...

how many lbs/in would 2.4 kgf/mm springs be?

anybody knoooo

I suck @ math

Comment

I do not know what kind of units those are or what they are used for Pigeon but it you type [conversions] on yahoo (and probably google) you will see a few websites dedicated to converting units. You may find your answer there..

Comment

To go from kgf/mm to lbs/in, multiply by 56.
        To go from lbs/in to kgf/mm, multiply by 1/56.
        ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Or listen to TheLastMarauder. Short and straight to the point. Nice.

Comment

awesome, thank you very much!

Comment

2.2 lbs = 1kg

25.4mm = 1 inch

There's no such thing as kgf. Kg is a mesasurement of mass. Force in the metric system is the Newton.
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

i use this site on a regular bassis. has a bunch of different conversions.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

Comment

According to my online conversion site: www.onlineconversion.com ,both kilogram-force, pound-force and newton are listed as separate categories in the Force Conversion table.
                  02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                  MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                  MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                  Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                  Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                  Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                  Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                  Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                  Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                  Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

i was looking in the FAQ and i saw how spring rates are all listed in different formats....

kgf/mm
                    N/mm
                    lbs/in

those are the 3 different ways edwin listed them

I am familiar with lbs/in so I was trying to convert the OEM 3rd gen 2.0L spring rates to lbs/in...

why? because im thinking of putting coilovers on, and I wanted an approximate value for the spring rate for OEM protege springs

I want to get ground control coils, and im trying to get an idea what spring rates OEM or OEM quality struts could handle because thats what I have (KYB GR2's)

The 3rd gen spring rates are in kgf/mm, but ground control rates their springs in lbs/in

So I was attempting to convert kgf/mm to lbs/in... and once I came up with a number I would then have a better idea of what spring rates to get with the ground controls... because i would have a baseline for the OEM rates

Because the spring rates that the ground controls come with seem a little on the high side for KYB GR2's.. i kno they could handle a higher rate than the OEM springs, but 300lbs seems kinda high... and i dont want the car to start hopping on me, i cant afford adjustable struts just yet

am i still confusing everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                      According to my online conversion site: www.onlineconversion.com ,both kilogram-force, pound-force and newton are listed as separate categories in the Force Conversion table.
                      That's fine. However, the SI system is the universally accepted system, and there's no such thing as a kg-f there. There would have to be a multiplier based upon altitude in order for it to work.

Absolute Metric uses the "dyne" as it's unit of force, and even then, it's derived from length, time, ,mass, and g(sub c).

Pound-force is ok, but you HAVE TO specify which system you're using when you say it, since it's included in both the English Engineering and Technical English systems. The difference being that Mass in the Engish Engineering isn't derived, it's just pound-mass, which is totally different from pound-force. In Technical English, mass is the slug, which is easiser to deal with.

Only the US still uses the English engineering and Technical English systems of units, and they're a total bitch and a half to work with, especially Engish Engineering, since there isn't a derived unit, and g (sub c) isn't 1 for purposes of unit conversion., and is infact 32.1740 lbm * ft /(lbf * s^2)
                      Last edited by JesseSays; 06-02-2005, 04:02 PM.
                      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES
                      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

ok... so you guys lost me

all i wanted to do was convert all the different units to one, so i can compare them...
                        is that possible?

Comment

you're correct that "kg-f" doesn't exist... but writing in that form is a universally accepted indication that you're using kg to measure force, not mass
                          although written as an expression, you don't actually *use* it during calculations

if you're really anal about what ought to be used for forces then Newtons is the way to do it... since using force with a mass type measurement (gram for example) is just a pretty hacked up way of doing it.... but it's commonly used and we just have to accept it
                          TheMAN
                          '01 BJFP MT
                          '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
                          No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
                          It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
                          -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
                          -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
                          -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
                          No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
                            pigeon, I'm probably just confused here and I don't comprehend what you're asking because I don't understand TheLastMarauder's solution.

Are you asking what 2.4 kilogram-force/square millimeter = in pounds-force/square inch? If so, my online calculator states:

2.4 kilogram-force/square millimeter = 3,413.6 pounds force/square inch

2.4 kg = 5.2910943 pounds
                            1 square inch = 645.16 square mm
                            5.2910943 x 645.16 = 3413.3

Or am I crazy?
                            I didn't write anything in kgf/mm^2 so your conversion is not really correct
                            TheMAN
                            '01 BJFP MT
                            '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.

It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMarauder
                              To go from kgf/mm to lbs/in, multiply by 56.
                              To go from lbs/in to kgf/mm, multiply by 1/56.
                              actually google says its 1kg/mm = 55.9974146lbs/in
                              TheMAN
                              '01 BJFP MT
                              '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.

Comment

Working...
                              X